Housing Families Seeks Director of Development
Housing Families Inc. (HFI) was founded in 1986 by community members concerned about the growing crisis of homelessness. We provide safe, temporary shelter to 100 homeless families and quality affordable housing to 68 formerly homeless and at-risk families. We offer individualized supportive services to 90 homeless children each week that enriches their lives through our GREAT Youth and Families Program, and we help over 400 families each year maintain permanent housing through our Homelessness Prevention Program.
Our vision is a world in which everybody has a place to call home. We are looking for those who share in this vision and for skilled, compassionate individuals who share in our agency values of Respect, Caring, Integrity, Growth, and Teamwork.
This position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities with oversight of a Development Team of three other members. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Development serves as a senior leader and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Housing Families Inc. (HFI). The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build HFI’s financial resources, visibility, and impact. Working in close collaboration with the CEO and Development Team, the Director will have primary responsibility for the solicitation of major gifts, federal, state, corporate, and foundation grants, and donor cultivation. In addition, the Director will work closely with the Board of Directors and support Board members in their fundraising role.
A successful Director will be a mission-focused, strategic, and process-minded leader and a doer with experience with comprehensive, multi-channel, data-driven fundraising efforts.
· Drive all major fundraising initiatives, securing financial support from private donors with support of the CEO, Board members, and the Development Team
· Develop and execute Housing Families’ Annual Development Plan
· Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects
· Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
· Support and direct staff responsible for: events, community drives, appeals, Raiser’s Edge data entry and gift processing, communications/marketing.
· Determine strategic direction of grant proposals and cultivate partnerships with granting entities, including corporate, foundation, and government
· Develop, maintain, and execute an annual calendar that identifies and tracks efforts, activities, proposal and grant reporting deadlines, as well as donor points of contact
· Research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position HFI ahead of major funding changes or trends
· Support all of the team’s events and activities (may require ability to lift and carry up to 30 lbs), provide general administrative assistance as needed, and perform other duties as assigned.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with experience in fundraising development to grow and further develop a proven agency that has already made a significant impact.
· Minimum BS/BA degree with at least 7 years of nonprofit or related experience with demonstrated success in securing major donations. Supervisory experience preferred.
· Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects to achieve desired outcomes
· Ability to establish and cultivate strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
· Excellent writing/editing/proofreading skills, including the ability to convey complex information to stakeholders.
· Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
· Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
· Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
· Acts with passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, seeks feedback, team focused and self-directed.
· Comfort taking initiative and working independently, as well as maintaining close communication and operating as part of a team.
· Ability to balance multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment
· Kindness, collaboration, enthusiasm, and humor
Salary is commensurate with experience and capability. Excellent benefits. The position is based in Malden, MA.
Interested candidates should email cover letter, resume, and a writing sample that accurately represents their work to Ed Cameron, CEO, Housing Families at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum Education Required