As a member of Ascend's technology team, the systems administrator will play a critical role supporting and administering the organization's applications and infrastructure. Travel between our Brooklyn schools and occasional weekend and/or evening work is required.
We look for professionals who are excited about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all students in truly public schools. Above all, we seek staff members who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for the children of Central Brooklyn.
Why extraordinary professionals work at Ascend:
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
The systems administrator is responsible for:
- Executing projects designed by the managing director of technology and supporting in the deployment, configuration, and management of Ascend's physical and virtual server infrastructures as well as core systems
- Working with the MD of technology and team members to develop a scalable strategy for Ascend's infrastructure
- Managing and maintaining of Ascend's voice and data networks including LAN/WAN/WLAN and VoIP systems
- Creating and maintaining documentation around all technologies and technology policies and procedures
- Catering to various sites' audio-visual needs, including testing, set-up, and maintenance
- Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all hardware and software issues
- Assisting in the implementation of new technologies
- Assisting and managing day-to-day requests using Zendesk, our support request system
- Communicating proactively with the school staff to research and develop best-practice processes
- Administering and supporting core applications, including Infinite Campus, Citrix ShareFile, IlluminateEd, Office 2013/2016/365, ActivInspire, and Zendesk
- Providing responsive and courteous support to resolve all technology issues
- Providing general application and infrastructure support
- Providing timely and service-oriented support to resolve issues
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The systems administrator reports to Ascend's managing director of technology.
- Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university
- 3+ years of work experience in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
A proven track record and high degree of proficiency in at least four of the technical areas below:
- Switching/Routing/Firewalls/Load Balancing
- Wireless networking (Autonomous, Lightweight, and/or Cloud Managed infrastructures)
- VoIP technologies and implementations
- Microsoft Server Technologies (Windows Server 2012 R2/2016, Hyper-V, IIS, File & print services)
- Microsoft Domain Management (AD DS, ADFS 3.0, DNS, DHCP, Azure AD Connect)
- Microsoft Client Management (Group Policy, Desktop Imaging)
- DR/Resiliency planning (clustering, backups, email archiving/journaling)
- Supporting Blackberry/iOS/Android/Windows devices
- Industry certifications are a plus (Microsoft, Cisco, PMI, HP, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose issues, identify root causes, and design effective solutions
- Experience with a student information system
- Experience managing policies and procedures to set best practices and deliver high-quality support
Skills and Traits
A successful systems administrator will demonstrate:
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to prioritize and communicate effectively with non-technical users
- Comfort with performing hands-on work and assisting with strategic projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and the ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Strong results-oriented troubleshooting and commitment to excellence
- Self-sufficiency with the ability to ask questions and request help when needed
- Excellent task- and time-management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to think critically, quickly, and strategically
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required