106 West 117th Street
Role Summary and Purpose
The Volunteer Coordinator is the key team member supporting and overseeing recruitment, orientation, scheduling, training, retention, and recognition of volunteers within the Playhouse. The Volunteer Coordinator works collaboratively with the Operations Coordinator and Program Director to provide a high level of customer service for potential and committed volunteers.
Qualifications and Preferred Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Highly motivated, organized, and effective individual
- Ability to work collaboratively and professionally with key stakeholders
- 2-3 years experience with talent/volunteer recruitment and training
- Charismatic and energetic
- Strong customer service skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative thinker – must be able to imagine new ways of both delighting volunteers, and effectively solving problems
- Demonstrated mastery of Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and understanding of Salesforce or similar CRM software required
- Commitment to the mission and vision of GiGi's Playhouse
- Represents GiGi’s Playhouse at Volunteer Recruitment events within the community
- Responds to volunteer inquiries and questions via phone and email in a timely and professional manner. Oversees the Volunteer email address for the Playhouse
- Hosts and leads New Volunteer Orientation sessions, according to the GiGi’s Playhouse model, a minimum of once per month. Sends email/phone reminders to attendees 5-7 days prior to the Orientation. Performs follow up from Volunteer Orientation within 3-5 days.
- Conducts one-on-one Volunteer Orientation sessions for volunteers who are not able to attend the monthly session.
- Collects volunteer needs from Playhouse staff, realizes talents of volunteers, and is responsible for matching and scheduling volunteers into volunteer roles using our volunteer categorizations
- Coordinate with program staff to ensure that each volunteer matched to a role has received training specific to the role
- Confirm with volunteers one week and one day prior to events, programs, etc
- Informs Program Leaders/Board Chairs when a new volunteer has been placed
- Maintains volunteer information in GiGi’s Playhouse database, including entering volunteer demographics, availability, interests
- Coordinates and schedules general and program-specific volunteer trainings and provides on-going training as needed
- Maintains open communication with the Operations Coordinator, Program Director and Board Chairs to ensure volunteer needs are covered and successful programs and events are delivered
- Coordinates Volunteer Recognition events for all Playhouse Volunteers, a minimum of two times per year
- Coordinates with the Operations Coordinator and Program Director for Social Media, website and blog entries relating to volunteer impact, recognition and stories
Leadership Pillars and Competencies
- Creates an environment for professional, safe and appropriate behavior at all times
- Alert to and encourages personal growth of volunteers
- Shows initiative in volunteer management
- Committed to helping people with Down syndrome, their families, and community reach their Best of All*.
Hours: 20 per week
Salary: based on experience
Hiring Manager: Program Director, Operations Coordinator and Board of Directors
Reports To: Program Director and Operations Coordinator
Work location: Volunteer Coordinator role will be split between our Harlem location and Brooklyn satellite locations.
Work schedule: Some evenings and most weekends will be required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicate "GGPHNYC: Volunteer Coordinator" in the subject line of your email.
In your cover letter, please clearly and simply state the reasons that you are applying for this position as well as your greater desire to work for GiGi’s Playhouse NYC.