The Senior Manager of Philanthropic Initiatives is responsible for developing strategy for philanthropic projects (both short and long-term) as well as overseeing their design, implementation and evaluation. These seek to meaningfully and measurably engage and generate revenue from LWR’s U.S. Lutheran audiences. Supervised by the Director of Philanthropic Engagement, the Senior Manager of Philanthropic Initiatives creates and manages the LWR Gifts program, Direct Mail, Monthly Giving, President’s Reports to key donors, third party revenue opportunities (e.g. Combined Federal Campaign, Workplace Giving Campaigns), as well as other opportunities that arise. The Senior Manager of Philanthropic Initiatives evaluates direct mail performance data and monitors the accompanying budget, assesses and makes recommendations for third-party revenue proposals, and supervises vendor relationships. The Senior Manager of Philanthropic Initiatives also serves as a collaborator on LWR’s digital fundraising program and provides strategic recommendations and analysis as LWR works to build a more comprehensive multi-channel fundraising program.
1. Manage LWR’s direct mail program, monitoring and analyzing results and making strategic decisions that increase revenue, increase donor retention and new donor acquisition.
2. Supervise and manage outside vendors and production talent as needed to produce projects and meeting organizational goals (direct mail, telemarketing, etc.).
3. Provide strategy recommendations for the multi-channel and digital fundraising programs. Serve as a collaborator with the Interactive Media Team on digital fundraising activities.
4. Monitor and analyze effectiveness of all fundraising channels. Regularly report analysis and outcomes to PE leadership and key collaborators.
5. Coordinate the creation and implementation of LWR Gifts and supporting strategy, designed to achieve quarterly and yearly fundraising goals.
6. Manage a wide variety of tasks from multiple internal stakeholders, negotiate priorities under the guidance of the Director of Philanthropic Engagement; communicate priorities and deadlines to internal stakeholders
7. Monitor and analyze effectiveness of third party revenue channels; Identify potential new partnership opportunities that help LWR achieve its fundraising and marketing goals.
8. Identify new philanthropic channels and suggest strategies that harness these established and emergent fundraising opportunities.
9. Responsible and accountable for engaging US Lutherans effectively in the work of LWR and ensuring that LWR’s work in marginalized communities is of the highest quality and integrity.
10. Engagement in ongoing professional development.
11. Ensure compliance with laws and LWR policies on public policy and advocacy activities and time spent on lobbying activities.
1. Deep commitment to LWR’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
2. Bachelors degree required, preferably in a related field such as marketing, or communications.
3. Record of accomplishments and results in developing and managing successful multi-channel fundraising and direct marketing programs.
4. At least five (5) years of experience in non-profit, cause-related or for-profit fundraising, marketing, writing, and production.
5. Demonstrated success managing detail-oriented projects and ensuring that all parties involved participate with competence, timeliness and excellence. Able to set short- and long-term planning goals in line with strategy.
6. Ability to manage and analyze budgetary information and assess organizational capacity. A task-oriented style, with focus on achieving clear and ambitious goals.
7. Experience in using data analytics tools to produce comprehensive analysis of project/program results.
8. Strong time management, organizational, and planning skills.
9. Vendor management experience required.
10. Experience working with, Raiser’s Edge or constituent relationship management system (CRM), web content management system (CMS), or eMarketing solution, preferred.
11. Superior interpersonal skills, including telephone communication. High comfort level contacting and meeting new people. Ability to work in a multi-cultural context. Superb constituent relationship management skills.
12. Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, e-mail, and web browser software.
13. Experience working with internal and external consultants for graphic design, web development and video production.
14. Experience with and commitment to working in a very diverse workforce.
15. Familiarity with Lutheran church structures and church member motivations and sensitivities an asset.
16. Working knowledge of Spanish or French an asset.
Minimum Education Required