1600 20th Street, NW
This is an outstanding opportunity for someone who is passionate about progressive politics to expand and strengthen their career in the fundraising sector.
Public Citizen is the nation’s leading public interest organization taking on corporate power across a broad range of issue areas. Founded in 1971 to advance health, safety, justice and democracy, we use all available advocacy tools – including research, grassroots mobilization and advocacy, lobbying, litigation, administrative petitioning and strategic communications – to influence policy debates.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, Public Citizen operates with an annual budget of $15 million and a staff of 85, and has more than 400,000 members and supporters. Public Citizen does not accept money from corporate or government sources -- we fiercely guard our independence -- and relies on the support of members and private foundations, and publication sales.
We are seeking a development professional to serve as Major Gifts Officer. This position reports to the Director of Major Gifts and will work as a part of a large development office.
- The position requires the ability to participate in all aspects of the giving cycle.
- Develop strong relationships with current and potential donors, keeping donors apprised of the organization’s work.
- Set and meet annual fundraising objectives, evaluating results and developing corrective strategies as needed.
- Call and email donors to develop relationships and keep them apprised of the organization's work.
- Work closely with Director of Major Gifts to secure major gifts of $3,000 + through personal solicitations.
- Meet annual fundraising objectives.
- Schedule and conduct cultivation and solicitation meetings over the phone with current donors and prospects.
- Travel to meet with donors and prospects, managing all appropriate preparations, follow-up, including solicitations and written trip reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong commitment to the public interest.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two to five years of successful major gift solicitations.
- Ability and desire to travel frequently.
- Skills in identifying and soliciting gifts from new potential donors.
- Excellent communication and solicitation skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Level-headedness and good judgment; a sense of humor; willingness to lead as well as learn.
- 100% paid medical and dental for employee and dependent child
- paid holiday and leave
- student loan plan
- paid parental leave
- and more
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com No phone calls please.