Tahirih Justice Center is seeking an outgoing and empathetic professional for our Social Services Case Aid role. Based out of our San Francisco Bay Area office, this role will require a high degree of emotional intelligence and discretion to support immigrant women and girls fleeing gender-based violence. This position will work in tandem with the Social Services Program Manager to provide holistic trauma-informed support to our clients.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with female victims and survivors of violence from multi-cultural backgrounds and be able to meet clients where they are emotionally and mentally. This role requires a high degree of professionalism, self-motivation, and a thriving passion for social justice. The successful candidate must be detail and solution-oriented and be able to effectively multi-task in a high-volume, fast paced office.
- Conduct social service, mental health, and medical needs assessments for Tahirih clients
- Maintain a case load of 15-30 clients
- Provide initial and ongoing crisis intervention and safety planning, and education about victim’s rights to clients
- Research information, and provide referrals, advocate and accompany, as needed for clients to access housing resources, food banks, counseling, money management, medical, and other social service needs
- Maintain regular communication with clients through regular calls and in-person meetings to provide follow-up, additional referrals, and to address other non-legal needs
- Collaborate with legal team and social services team to provide holistic, client-centered, trauma-informed services to clients
- Write letters of support for cases upon request
- Maintain clients’ records by inputting case notes, resource information, and progress
- Generally promote Tahirih and our work in collaboration with the Social Services Program Manager, conduct outreach presentations and meetings with partner service providers and public audiences
- Support special events and donations drives as needed
- 1 – 2 years of relevant experience serving the needs of a diverse population;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field;
- Fluent in Spanish;
- Experience and/or knowledge about domestic violence, sexual abuse, and human trafficking
- Experience and/or knowledge in working with migrant populations
- An engaging communicator that can effectively and independently communicate with diverse; audiences and network collaboratively among a variety of stakeholder groups;
- Excellent creative problem solving, strategic thinking, and analytical skills
- Exemplary time management and prioritization skills
- Must be highly self-motivated and driven;
- Must be comfortable in a collaborative, consultative environment;
- Must be committed to non-partisanship
- Flexibility to assist clients
- Sense of humor
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
About the Tahirih Justice Center: The Tahirih Justice Center is a growing national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by providing holistic legal services and advocacy in courts, Congress, and communities. Through pro bono holistic legal services, community outreach and education and nonpartisan public policy advocacy, Tahirih protects women and girls seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 70 employees work from offices in the DC metro area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.