200 Wood Hill Road
Ina Kay Building
JSSA has an immediate opening for a seasoned Controller. S/he will be responsible for the overall administration of fiscal operations: including, but not limited to accounting, payroll, and accounts payable. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller is a member of JSSA’s Senior Management team and a key financial manager who must function independently, carry out Agency policies, use initiative to identify fiscal problems, offer possible solutions, and take the lead in bringing about resolution. For nine consecutive years, JSSA has maintained the coveted 4-Star rating from Charity Navigator, an independent charity evaluator, in recognition of sound fiscal health and our commitment to accountability and transparency. The accounting team is comprised of 11 professionals stewarding our $30M in annual revenue and $40M in endowment assets for JSSA and its subsidiary, Premier Homecare.
We are seeking an exceptionally skilled and detail-oriented Controller who has excellent interpersonal communication skills and organizational skills, with a problem-solving attitude who works well both independently and as a collaborative team player. Qualified candidates will have supervisory experience with the ability to think strategically as well as the flexibility to adapt to changing work requirements.
• Ensure prompt and accurate monthly, quarterly and year end close processes resulting in the preparation of consolidated financial statements on a timely basis to be responsive to management's financial and statutory requirements.
• Participate in development and forecast of agency and contract budgets under the direction and supervision of the CFO.
• Manage and supervise day-to-day accounting operations to ensure accurate and timely recording of cash disbursements, cash receipts, and general ledger journal entries in accordance with GAAP.
• Ensure monthly/quarterly contract and grant invoices are submitted accurately and timely to the respective funder.
• Oversee semi-monthly payroll process to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
• Monitor day to day cash flow needs for the operating and payroll accounts. Initiate transfers, as needed.
• Maintain relations with auditors, banks and other parties with whom the Agency transacts business.
• Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax fillings.
• Prepare for financial audit and coordinate the audit process.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field, CPA license strongly preferred.
• Minimum of five years of progressive accounting experience as a Controller or equivalent. Experience in public accounting and/or healthcare setting helpful.
• Knowledge of non-profit accounting principles and standards, auditing practices and tax regulations.
• Experience in complex non-profit with multiple programs and entities.
• Supervisory skills with a focus on developing subordinates’ talents and encouraging growth; collaborative and flexible.
• Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office; specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook. Knowledge of MS Dynamics and Ceridian preferred.
• Available for evening Board Committee meetings as needed.
The Jewish Social Service Agency (JSSA) has been helping people across the Washington metropolitan area meet emotional, social, and physical challenges for more than 120 years. A nonsectarian provider, we serve people of all religious backgrounds, races and ethnicities, helping the youngest child to the most fragile senior, from individuals to entire families. JSSA provides services and support to nearly 31,000 individuals a year through our wide range of counseling, educational, employment, in-home support, hospice and nursing care, and social services.
We are a growing Agency and strive to be an Employer of Choice. As such we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a healthy work-life balance, collaborative team environment and many opportunities for personal growth and professional development. We pride ourselves on our mission to be the first place for the Jewish community, as well as the community at large, to turn for clinical and social services of the highest quality that sustain and nurture all who seek assistance. Learn more about us at www.jssa.org. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. AA/M/F/
Comprehensive Benefits include:
· Generous paid holidays and time away from work
· Professional development stipend
· Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
· 403(b) plan
· Free Parking
Minimum Education Required