After-School All-Stars (ASAS) is one of the leading national after-school program providers in the country. Our comprehensive school-based programs combine academics, enrichment, and health and fitness activities to help build the knowledge and skills children need to succeed, both in school and in life. Founded by Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1992, ASAS is building a national model for after-school program delivery through our 19 chapters, all of which serve nearly 70,000 youth in major urban localities. In our fourth program year in NJ, ASAS NJ is serving nearly 500 students at four schools in Newark and one in Paterson.
A Unique Opportunity:
ASAS is currently seeking an exceptional and dynamic leader as the Program Manager, reporting to the Executive Director of NJ. The Program Manager’s primary responsibilities will include: oversight of program strategy and expansion, overall program operations, project and partnership implementation, organizational leadership, program staff management (i.e., coaching, professional development, and training), and consistent monitoring of after-school programs at multiple partnering school sites.
Program Manager Job Overview:
The Program Manager (PM) should embody ASAS’s core values: accountable, collaborative, transparent, proactive, and entrepreneurial and will demonstrate the ability to lead, coach, and train program staff to accomplish established objectives. This position requires flexibility to travel within New Jersey, excellent relationship-building and collaboration skills, superb organizational skills and attention to detail, the ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, and a commitment to the mission of ASAS. The Program Manager supervises Site Coordinators.
The PM manages a team of four Site Coordinators and works with them to co-design, establish, implement, and review program systems and logistics. Each Site Coordinator oversees the daily management of the after-school program at their assigned school site, including coordinating daily upkeep of the attendance database system, monitoring program flow and structure, maintaining school-based relationships with administrators and teachers, and assisting the PM with the management and training of Program Leaders.
The PM also recruits, onboards, and trains all Program Leaders. Program Leaders are the frontline staff that instruct daily programs, oversee classroom management, and implement lesson plans to keep students engaged.
The PM is supported by the Regional Program Manager, who provides support for strategic planning, professional development and training, program resources, program quality assessment, and maintaining alignment with the National organization’s mission and vision.
Program Strategy and Program Expansion
· Develop and execute the vision for ASAS’s quality programming and expansion in NJ in alignment with the Executive Director and program staff
· Oversee and grow quality afterschool programming at all partner schools
· Ensure expectations relating to grant objectives and reporting processes are being met
· Work with the Executive Director to develop a plan for building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders in the NJ community
· Collaborate with the National Evaluation Team to conduct appropriate evaluation to ensure feedback from stakeholders
· In coordination with the Regional Program Manager, implement Youth Program Quality Assessment (YPQA) at all partnering school sites
· Provide training, build culture, and team dynamics across all sites
Program Operations and Project Implementation
· Sustain effective program planning throughout the year that includes session planning, curriculum development, developing student class selections, assisting with and preparing for site visits, ensuring alignment with core program initiatives, as well as coordinating and planning field trips and culminating events
· Recruit, hire, and train effective Site Coordinators and Program Leader staff and ensure that they are developing high quality, comprehensive after-school programming
· Conduct regular performance reviews and evaluations for program staff (i.e. Site Coordinators and Program Leaders)
- Work closely with the chapter leadership team to manage successful implementation of the ASAS national model and initiatives
- Serve as a liaison with the school communities and partners
- Advise Site Coordinators on communication with school administration, families and other school staff
- Work with Site Coordinators to develop and understand site budgets
· Meet or exceed Average Daily Attendance (ADA) goals throughout the year via student recruitment and retention activities, including student voice and choice engagement strategies
· Ensure that student records and attendance data are maintained accurately
- Assist Site Coordinators with maintenance of student records and entry of attendance records
- Act swiflty and demonstrate a sense of urgency to identify and solve problems
- Maintain communication flow with Executive Director, program staff, and schools
· Support the Executive Director with ongoing overall management of ASAS NJ
· Provide ongoing overall management of ASAS NJ program budget
· Work with Executive Director and national team to develop and maintain robust operational and organizational systems for NJ chapter.
Development and Marketing
· Attend donor and partner meetings as needed
· Assist with implementing the fundraising strategy to support the goals, objectives, and activities of ASAS NJ
· Work with colleagues across the ASAS national network to share information, resources, and collaborate on national efforts
· Ensure that marketing and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans
· Travel to off-site meetings, trainings, and events
· Perform other duties as assigned
Who should apply?
The Program Manager is a senior level leadership position and is expected to have at least seven years’ experience in the field of nonprofit management with demonstrated success in program and organizational oversight. Strong written and oral communication skills are essential. An understanding of the local non-profit, education landscape in NJ is preferable. Must clear DOJ & FBI Livescan and tuberculosis test. An undergraduate degree is preferred. This position is ideal for a non-profit leader with a passion for building an organization.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS offers competitive benefits including, but not limited to health, dental, and vision.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three-year salary history via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should be in PDF format and indicate how your experience is in direct alignment with the mission and vision of After-School All-Stars. Please put "Program Director, New Jersey" and your last name in the subject heading.
Full medical, dental, and vision benefits included.
Minimum Education Required