Content Specialist, Math
Location: Boston (preferred) or flexible to other ANet regional offices (NYC, D.C., Chicago, New Orleans, Denver, Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, and Springfield, MA)
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that's grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students in California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students. ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, including a prestigious Investing In Innovation (i3) grant from the federal government in 2010, New Schools Venture Fund's “Organization of the Year” in 2011, and The NonProfit Time's “Best Nonprofits to Work For” in 2015 and 2016.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
We are seeking a Math Content Specialist to join our team in providing high-quality, standards-aligned formative assessments to teachers and students across our existing and new school partners. ANet's assessments are a key resource to provide data to teachers and leaders as well as support them in understanding the expectations of the standards. Reporting to the Managing Director, Math Assessment, the Content Specialist will serve as a math subject matter expert for regional and National teams, have responsibility for the final item selection and design of ANet interim assessments, and manage the output of a team of external editors. They will collaborate regularly with other members of the Instructional Products Team as well as other internal teams to ensure alignment and progress towards national-level priorities. The Content Specialist will also lead and manage critical projects in support of the Instructional Products Team and organization-wide goals.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Responsible for the creation of ANet math interim assessments and supporting materials
- Determine item selection and design for ANet interim formative assessments
- Write, review, revise and edit items aligned to standards, including traditional and innovative item types
- Develop supplementary materials for schools (e.g. analysis and scoring guides)
- Meet all interim and final due dates for assessment creation
- Ensure that ANet interim assessments align with standards and appropriate rigor to measure student performance:
- Research and analyze CCSSM and items released by the assessment consortia, states, and other external organizations
- Gather and resolve feedback on assessment content from multiple sources, including internal teams, school and district partners, and external experts
- Contribute to the development of assessment and item design specs and review criteria
- Provide specific feedback to internal and external assessment writers and editors; ensure quality and alignment to design principles
- Approve items for use on assessments
- Ensure design principle alignment across the Math Assessment Team
- Serve as math assessment subject matter expert for networks and other internal teams
- Serve as key point of contact for 2-3 network teams
- Build strong collaborative partnerships and establish and maintain regular communication rhythms
- Plan for and facilitate regular assessment-related meetings
- Respond to assessment questions and feedback on an ongoing basis
- Serves as a resource and consultant for internal teams such as Business Development and New Partnerships
- Manage critical team projects
- Set vision for and lead Assessment Team projects that inform the team's operational, content, and/or network support work
- Work independently to drive towards deadlines and meet targets, managing up and across to achieve intended outcomes
- Contribute to the overall success of The Achievement Network:
- Share assessment design principles, assessments and item samples internally to ensure alignment
- Work closely with the other members of the Math Assessment Team to develop and execute on a strategy to improve and expand our offering to schools
WHO YOU ARE & WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have prior experience with, and understanding of, standards-based instruction
- You bring working knowledge of assessment design principles and best practices
- You know how to communicate complex ideas clearly and confidently and thrive at planning and facilitating meetings or presentations which meaningfully engage participants
- You sweat the small stuff and have a proven track record of producing error-free work, even when working under tight deadlines
- You are a strong project manager who knows how to organize work streams and take initiative to get stuff done
- You are motivated by an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, highly-collaborative team environment, and desire to contribute to a growing organization
- Most importantly, you have a passionate commitment to, and a sense of urgency for, the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- You have prior instructional experience teaching Math in grades 2-HS
- You have a solid understanding of Math Common Core State Standards
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Minimum Education Required