1999 Harrison Street
Reaching over half of American families with school-age children each year, we help millions of families find high-quality, good-fit schools and advocate for high quality schools in their communities. Robust and reliable school information is the backbone of this work. We are seeking a Data Product Coordinator to help with the process of acquiring state and national data as related to data and research strategy needs.
We’re a lean, flat and experimental team focused on combining data analysis, engineering, research, storytelling and design, to identify user-centered approaches to helping parents make better decisions about their child’s education. The team works in quick iterations, using the techniques, algorithms, and tools best suited towards the challenges of gleaning actionable insights from school data.
This position reports to the Data Product Manager. It is a full-time, exempt position located in Oakland, CA.
- Research, scope, and establish sustainable data partnerships with state and national education agencies, organizations, and third party service providers
- Coordinate data acquisitions for the GreatSchools data team
- Regularly query school data using MySQL for custom reports and data strategy efforts
- Support and consult with other data associates during the data loading process so the database can be correctly configured to store and document new data types
- Develop detailed partnership-specific documentation (including supporting annual grant reporting)
- Identify and troubleshoot data issues with problematic data sets and work with data providers to resolve data concerns and ensure data integrity
- Support data strategy and internal data or customer service questions
- 4-year degree or Master's degree preferred (preferably with a concentration in policy, education, or related fields)
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar project management or coordination-type role
- An understanding of the public education landscape and post-secondary outcomes
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel (including formulas, filtering, and data formatting)
- Ability to work well in a collaborative setting
- Experience in collecting, managing, and analyzing large datasets of student achievement and other school performance data
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized
- Relentless pursuer of data quality and propensity for establishing processes and creating efficiencies
- Positive work ethic, sense of humor, and contributor to our fun work environment
- A passion for the GreatSchools mission, to help parents get a great education for their kids
- Eagerness to expand technical skill set
- Experience with SQL and relational database management, generally
- Experience using R, Stata, SPSS, SAS or similar statistical programming software
- Core competencies apply to all GreatSchools team members
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements, along with your résumé here. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace.
GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to improve educational opportunities for their child. GreatSchools’ trusted ratings and school quality information help parents find the right school for their family and take action to improve schools in their communities. The thousands of articles, tips and interactive tools help parents support their child’s learning and well-being every day. Families, community leaders and policy-makers turn to GreatSchools for the school information they need to guide children to great futures.
Minimum Education Required