Details: Commensurate with previous applicable work experience
Job Description: The North Carolina Conservation Network is seeking candidates for the position of Public Action Organizer. This is a full time, permanent position based in Raleigh and requires regular travel across the state. The NC Conservation Network is a statewide network of approximately 75 environmental, health, and environmental justice organizations. The NC Conservation Network directly advocates for equitable and sustainable solutions for our environment and public health.
The Public Action Organizer will play a critical role in NC Conservation Network’s issue advocacy and public outreach, with a focus on:
· Educating the public on state and federal environmental issues, in particular on how their elected officials are supporting or opposing legislation to protect or damage the environment and public health.
· Engaging the public and our activists to take offline action around key environmental issues in the state (i.e. opposing offshore drilling, supporting solar energy, etc.).
· Mobilizing activists and historically disenfranchised voters in a non-partisan civic engagement Get-Out-the-Vote program each fall.
Applicants should be excited about regularly engaging with potential activists via email, phone, and in-person meetings to engage them in issue advocacy campaigns. Ideal candidates will be self-starters with an ability to manage multiple projects and move both urgent and long-term work forward.
· Facilitate public communication to policymakers: work to generate emails, calls, and other communications to legislators and decision makers on issues, such as offshore drilling, renewable energy programs, clean drinking water protections, toxic chemical rules, coal ash clean up, and more.
· Coordinate activists to attend offline events: lead event planning and recruitment for volunteer phone banks, event tabling, media events, and public comment hearings.
· Strengthen leadership in our movement: recruit and train activists to become local leaders. Use a variety of online and offline tactics to recruit new activists, build excellent relationships with them, and turn them into strong leaders in their communities. Develop strong relationships with our top activists and move them to take high-level actions.
· Raise awareness of key issues in targeted North Carolina communities through outreach, presentations, online communications, and events.
Skills and Experience:
· BA/BS, preferably in political science, public policy, communications or environmental studies/science.
· Understanding of the key components of constituent advocacy, state level nonprofits, politics, policy-makers, and media – especially in North Carolina.
· Strong communication, networking, and public speaking skills. Comfort regularly cold calling potential activists.
· Demonstrated experience engaging and motivating volunteers/activists.
· An ability to work with a diverse cross-section of people in North Carolina.
· Comfort with technology and database management.
· Comfort working non-traditional hours, including occasional weekends and evenings.
· Willingness to travel across North Carolina on regular basis.
· 2-4 years of professional experience within an advocacy organization.
· Experience managing part-time staff, interns, or long-term volunteers.
The salary scale for this position is $32,000-42,000, commensurate with previous applicable work experience. Employment with the NC Conservation Network also includes a full benefits package, including health, dental, and retirement plan, as well as strong vacation and sick time off. NC Conservation Network is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Deadline to apply is April 27. To apply, email both a resume and cover letter to peter[at]ncconservationnetwork.org with the subject “Attn: Public Action Organizer.”