Details: Based on experience
5120 Woodway Drive
“Deportation Defense Houston” is a project of the Houston Immigration Legal Services Collaborative, which brings together a cohort of immigration legal services providers (currently, YMCA International Services, BakerRipley, Justice for Our Neighbors-Houston, and the South Texas College of Law Houston) to take on an innovative and aggressive approach to defending immigrants who are detained while their removal proceedings are pending. Members of the cohort will be working as a cohort by meeting regularly, collaboratively placing cases, sharing data, tracking trends, and adjusting strategies as needed.
- Provide consultations and screen immigrants in detention to ascertain immigration relief
- Handle reasonable caseload providing direct representation to individuals in immigration removal proceedings eligible for immigration relief
- Provide representation to individuals in other proceedings, such as federal courts and BIA
- Monitor detention conditions and access to counsel issues
Host organizations are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, immigration status, disability or veteran status
Level of Language Proficiency
• J.D. from an accredited law school; • Bar Admission in any US state • Fluent in Spanish (written, spoken and comprehension); • Three years minimum legal experience in immigration law, including representation before the immigration court (representation in detention context and criminal law preferred); • Personal dedication to furthering immigrant justice and rights; • Excellent communication and writing skills; • Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; • Reliable transportation, valid Texas Driver’s License, and evidence of insurability.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To express interest, please send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “DDH Job” in the subject line. Please indicate if you have a strong preference for any of the participating non-profits in your letter. You may also apply directly to each organization through their hiring sites.
Deadline to apply: March 15, 2018