The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a dynamic self-starter to serve as its Statewide Initiatives Associate. The Statewide Initiatives Associate works closely with the organization’s Director of Statewide Initiatives, Executive Director, staff, and volunteer-led chapters to achieve the organization’s goal of protecting the liberties that define our democracy. This position is located in the organization’s Tampa office but includes some travel to chapters and regional offices throughout the state.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida is an affiliate of the national ACLU, a national public interest organization devoted to the defense of the Bill of Rights. For over 100 years, the ACLU has served as the nation’s primary protector of the liberties that define our democracy. The organization implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLU of Florida. Operating out of six offices—Miami (main), Tampa, Orlando, Pensacola, Tallahassee and Jacksonville—the Florida affiliate has a budget of over $8million and 55 staff members, placing it among the larger ACLU affiliates in the nation.
The ACLU of Florida, the state’s largest civil rights and civil liberties organization, employs litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional values and individual rights, such as freedom of speech, racial justice, right to privacy, religious liberty, criminal justice reform, voting rights, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, disability rights, and immigrants’ rights. The ACLU of Florida litigates a broad range of complex constitutional cases in federal and state courts through direct representation, filing amicus briefs, and submitting administrative complaints to state and federal agencies.
The Statewide Initiatives Associate is a staff position within the Affiliate. The position reports to the Director of Statewide Initiatives. The position is focused on building the organizational capacity of the affiliate, serving as a collaborative partner with Chapters on local and regional projects that advance statewide priorities, and strengthening communication between the affiliate and the chapters and supporting police reform measures at the local level. The Statewide Initiatives Associate will work 50% of their time in support of chapters and 50% on police reform.
The U.S. has a long history of white supremacy and racism that has had a significant impact on many institutions including law enforcement. The murder of George Floyd and others by the police and advocacy by Black Lives Matter creates urgency and opportunity for us to reimagine policing.
The Statewide Initiatives Associate duties include monitoring statewide efforts on reimagining policing. Using a racial justice lens, the Associate will work with chapters and their partners to create and implement the Affiliate’s reimagining policing plan.
· Design, plan, implement, and monitor statewide programming and activities that meets the needs of chapters.
· Identify, nurture, and elevate volunteer leadership within impacted communities and the broader public to help shape and inform campaign goals, tactics, and strategies.
· Track progress on chapter campaigns and administrative duties and provide regular updates on progress and capacity to various stakeholders.
· Design, plan, implement, and monitor strategies pertaining to policing.
· Work on special projects as assigned.
· Serve as a spokesperson for the organization as assigned.
· Maintain strong relationships with activists and members across the state in support of the three campaigns: voting rights, criminal justice reform and immigrant rights.
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
· At least three (3) years of experience in the non-profit sector and demonstrated ability to work on advocacy/organizing/political campaigns.
· Bachelor’s degree. This requirement can be substituted for an additional two (2) years of experience.
· Strong experience working on law enforcement and/or with policy makers
· A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions and religious views.
· Strong written and oral communications skills.
· Exceptional organization skills; highly detail-oriented with strong follow-through.
· Ability to work independently when necessary and keep organized in a fast-paced environment.
· Creative, results-orient, self-starter, and willing to learn.
· Experience putting campaign strategy and tactics for volunteer engagement into practice.
· Superb time management skills, ability to follow-through, and the ability to meet deadlines.
· Experience with and a high degree of comfort working with technology.
· Ability to have a flexible schedule and travel across Florida to attend and/or participate in evening or weekend meetings.
· Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation of Florida seeks a dynamic self-starter to serve as its Statewide Initiatives Associate. The Statewide Initiatives Associate works closely with the organization’s Director of…
The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution 401K Retirement Plan. Base vacation leave is five weeks per year.
The ACLU of Florida provides excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance with generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policies, as well as a Defined Contribution…
Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required
Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required
Please send cover letter, resume, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries should include “Statewide Initiatives Associate” in the subject line and all attachments should be in Microsoft Word or pdf format.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU of Florida reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU of Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Florida encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply. If selected for an interview, please inquire if financial assistance is needed in order to attend.
The ACLU of Florida undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. Fluency in Spanish and Creole is preferred but not required.
Please send cover letter, resume, by email to email@example.com. All inquiries should include “Statewide Initiatives Associate” in the subject line and all attachments should be in…