675 Third Avenue
The Hebrew Free Loan Society seeks a Communications & Development Manager to manage communications, marketing, and external affairs for our nonprofit microfinance organization. This position will take the lead on developing an overall communications strategy, online engagement, public events, video productions and press relations. The CommDev Manager reports to the Director of Development and works in close collaboration with the Deputy Director, and the role presents the opportunity to work with HFLS borrowers, supporters, Board members, partner organizations, and the media.
The ideal candidate is a professional with at least five years relevant experience, adept at communicating with different constituencies, with a track record of building, implementing, and managing effective communications and marketing strategies.
The Hebrew Free Loan Society (HFLS) is the only microfinance organization making a wide range of 0% interest loans to low- and moderate-income New Yorkers. HFLS loans foster financial stability and opportunity among borrowers of all backgrounds.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Manage external communications for HFLS (e.g. emails and direct mail campaigns, event communications, promotional materials, etc), from creation to dissemination
- Run HFLS’s website, email and social media channels, including analyzing and reporting on results of online engagement activities
- Serve as lead contact for relevant vendors and consultants, including website developers, graphic designers, mail houses, and videographers
- Interview borrowers and donors to create a bank of written and video stories and secure borrower speaking engagements as needed
- Manage outreach to and contact with media, including writing and disseminating press releases and articles
- Spearhead ad creation and placement for all HFLS loan marketing initiatives
- Staff the Board of Directors Communications Committee and attend all Development Committee meetings
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications or a relevant field
- Five years relevant experience, preferably in communications, public relations, or other nonprofit work
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Savvy communications strategist with ideas about how to build and engage our audiences
- Solution-oriented self-starter who is able to prioritize a diverse workload
- Excellent writing ability, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Team player able to function well in a dynamic, collaborative environment as well as independently
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Mailchimp, fundraising databases, and Google Analytics; working knowledge of Photoshop and/or design software a plus
Minimum Education Required