Details: Commensurate with experience
305 East 47th Street
The American Federation of Arts (AFA), the leader in traveling exhibitions internationally, is seeking a contract Registrar. AFA is a non-profit organization founded in 1909, and is dedicated to enriching the public’s experience and understanding of the visual arts through organizing and touring art exhibitions for presentation in museums around the world, publishing exhibition catalogues featuring important scholarly research, and developing educational programs. More information about the AFA and its exhibitions and programs can be found at amfedarts.org.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· Travel to domestic venue institutions for assigned exhibitions to manage installation and deinstallation changeovers. Incumbent will oversee 2-4 exhibition changeovers over a 6-8 month period.
· Oversee installation and deinstallation activities at venue institutions, ensuring that all works are unpacked, handled, and installed in line with best practices and exhibition contract agreements.
· Condition report works upon unpacking and prior to repacking at all venues.
· Liaise with venue institutions to ensure that lender requirements are met and that exhibition contracts and timelines are adhered to. Ensure that venues comply with installation instructions and related documentation.
· Coordinate the transfer of artwork to/from venue institutions and lenders.
· Communicate with AFA staff registrars regarding administrative aspects of assigned exhibitions, including insurance, shipping arrangements, couriers, and conservation.
· Act as courier for domestic and international shipments as necessary.
· Other duties as assigned by Head Registrar
· There are no direct reports associated with this position. However, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the work of contract art handlers, couriers, and conservators as well as for managing installations at venues.
· BA required, MA preferred, with a background in one of the following areas: Art History, Museum Studies, Library Science, or Arts Administration.
· Minimum of three years of prior museum or gallery experience in a registrarial or exhibitions management capacity, or comparable experience.
· Knowledge of fine arts packing standards and international shipping of complicated and high-value goods, including customs requirements and CITES; a keen understanding of the handling and packing needs or a wide variety of objects.
· Experience condition reporting various types of objects.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders, including vendors, venues, and co-organizers both collaboratively and diplomatically.
· Willingness to travel domestically and internationally for one to two weeks at a time.
· Must maintain a valid passport.
Current Schedule of Trips:
January 6-12, 2019 (OKC)
January 27-February 8, 2019 (Vero Beach)
Possibly May 5-11 (Vero Beach) and May 26-June 7 (Seattle)
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required