Full Time Temporary
105 Chauncy Street
Founded on the principle that every person deserves a safe and healthy place to live, HomeStart has been ending and preventing homelessness in Boston for over 20 years. Our organization is committed to walking clients through the challenging process of moving from shelters to permanent housing. We do this by helping to secure housing and by helping clients re‐integrate into their communities, providing support services such as financial literacy and life skills training. We currently have an opening for a temporary position on our Housing Resources team.
This is a temporary full time four month assignment covering for a maternity leave. The position is part of HomeStart’s Housing Resources team and provides representative payee and money management services to formerly homeless adults. Participants in the representative payee program are often diagnosed with substance abuse and mental health disorders. A representative payee is a person or agency appointed to receive social security benefits for individuals who need assistance in managing their benefits. The HomeStart representative payee program acts in the best interest of participants by making payments on their behalf. These payments include such things as rent, utility payments, food, clothing, shelter, medical, general debts, monthly spending and other expenses necessary to ensure housing and financial stability.
- Act as a representative payee for participants who need support in managing their funds and budget.
- Assume responsibility for timely planning and preparation of check requests as well as utility and rent payments for participants on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Pay monthly bills including rent for participants.
- Transfer bank funds as needed for payments and spending check requests.
- Print and disperse checks according to budget developed with participant.
- Balance each participant’s account balance each month.
- Update and complete Social Security forms and reports as needed.
- Notify Social Security of required beneficiary status changes.
- Set-up and maintain all relevant representative payee paperwork and computer spreadsheet records.
- In conjunction with the participant and case manager, implement budget a plan and revise as needed.
- Maintain accurate and detailed financial records on behalf of program participants.
- Support participants maintain their housing through good budgeting and saving.
- Help participants set-up bank accounts.
- Cover front desk reception for approximately 4+ hours per month. Agency employees assist in covering the front desk during lunch hours as well as back up hours for when the office reception is not in the office.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
- Excellent project management skills, including time management, ability to organize and streamline tasks, complete work efficiently, and follow-through on projects.
- Case management experience with homeless people or other disadvantaged populations.
- Patience and sensitivity to participants’ emotional issues surrounding money.
- Solid computer skills required. Must be competent in Microsoft Word and Excel as well as be accurately conduct on-line banking.
- Accountability with money; excellent documentation skills.
- Ability to handle frustrated and demanding clients in a calm, appropriate and professional manner.
- Excellent math skills required.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work with clients who are active substance abusers.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with a broad range of people.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedication to helping people who are homeless move beyond shelter.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to Amber Nicholas, Program Manager, HomeStart, 105 Chauncy Street, Boston, MA 02111. email@example.com