Immigration Supervising Attorney Position – Albany, New York
- Job posted by Prisoners' Legal Services of New York
41 State Street
Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York (PLS) is seeking the immediate hire of a Supervising Attorney for the Immigration Unit in Albany, NY. The Supervising Attorney will supervise a team of staff attorneys and two paralegals to provide high-quality legal representation to non-citizens in removal proceedings in the Institutional Hearing Program, located inside the New York State prison system.
PLS is a non-profit legal services organization providing civil legal services to indigent incarcerated individuals in New York State correctional facilities. PLS has regional offices in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca and Plattsburgh.
PLS is also part of the New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP), providing free legal representation to all non-citizens incarcerated in New York State prison facing immigration removal proceedings under the Institutional Hearing Program (IHP) and to women in immigration detention at the Albany County Jail in Albany, NY. Removal proceedings take place at the Bedford Hills, Downstate, and Ulster Immigration Courts, located inside New York State correctional facilities in upstate New York, and at the Batavia Immigration Court in Batavia, NY.
The Supervising Attorney will have the following responsibilities:
· Supervise and manage a team of staff attorneys and two paralegals with a busy docket of removal defense cases before the Immigration Court and Board of Immigration Appeals;
· Provide substantive guidance to staff attorneys on legal and ethical issues arising from removal defense cases;
· Work with staff attorneys to prepare trial strategy for merits hearings;
· Participate in regularly scheduled, in-person meetings with individual staff members to review client intakes and discuss ongoing case work;
· Review case-related materials and attorney work product and provide constructive feedback;
· Supervise reporting statistics on ongoing removal defense cases.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. PLS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, short and long-term disability, life insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
· J.D. degree and admission to the New York State Bar;
· Three (3) to five (5) years’ litigation experience;
· Experience in a supervisory role;
· Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills;
· Spanish language skills (preferred);
· Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high intensity environment.
Fluency in Spanish is preferred. Please note all language skills and level of proficiency in your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample, and at least three (3) references by mail or email to: Patricia Kane, Prisoners’ Legal Services of NY, 41 State St., Suite M112, Albany, NY 12207 or to email@example.com. Include “PLS Supervising Attorney” along with your preference for office location. No phone calls please.