177 Livingston Street
BDS is one of the largest public defense providers in the United States. BDS provides innovative, multi-disciplinary, and client-centered criminal, family, and immigration defense, as well as civil legal services, social work support and advocacy, for tens of thousands of clients in Brooklyn every year. BDS represents clients who have diverse, complex and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and very fast-paced setting.
BDS' Family Defense Practice (FDP) represents parents in child welfare cases in Brooklyn Family Court. FDP advocates for clients who have diverse, complex and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and very face-paced setting. FDP seeks a social worker to become part of the out of court advocate team of social workers and parent advocates.
Brief Description of Job
Social workers team up with attorneys and parent advocates to provide comprehensive legal representation to our clients.
- Applicants must have a Master's Degree in Social Work and be licensed or willing and eligible to become licensed.
- Applicants should possess excellent interpersonal, analytical, writing, and organizational skills and be willing to work as part of a team in a very fast-paced environment.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants who have experience in mental health issues, family court and/or the child welfare system.
- FDP seeks applicants with 2-5 years' experience.
- Advocate for clients at agency case conferences
- Conduct client assessments,
- Do crisis intervention management,
- Develop service plans for clients,
- Work closely with attorneys to determine case strategy,
- Refer clients for services,
- Communicate with service providers about clients' needs
- Conduct home visits
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
BDS is an equal opportunity employer which supports a policy of non-discrimination in all employment practices including, but not limited to, hiring, transfer, promotions, training, compensation, benefits, lay-offs, and terminations.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume to email@example.com. In the subject header, please “Family Defense Social Worker.”
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Mandarin and Haitian-Creole Speakers are strongly encourage to apply.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Minimum Education Required