Details: Salary will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the selected candidate.
POSITION OVERVIEW: SOCIAL JUSTICE PROGRAM ASSOCIATE
Stephen Wise Free Synagogue invites talented applicants to apply to join our community in the role of social justice program associate [SJPA]. The SJPA will be responsible for the congregation’s social action agenda. The SJPA will report to Associate Rabbi Samantha Natov and will work in close partnership with senior staff and our members to lead three action-oriented task forces focused on the following areas: domestic civil liberties, anti-Semitism, and immigration and refugees. Additionally, the SJPA will help to oversee the Social Action Committee.
The ideal candidate will bring to this exciting role a passion for civic engagement and social justice, and an understanding that our congregation’s desire to make the world a better place is rooted in our rich religious tradition.
· Leverage the incredible energy, professional skills, and resources of our community to mobilize the aforementioned task forces.
· Develop a compelling vision for the Stephen Wise social action agenda, rooting the immediate work of three congregant-led task forces in a dynamic, multi-year social impact campaign/strategy.
· Provide regular professional leadership to congregant-led task forces to ensure the achievement of short- and long-term objectives as they relate to issues in each area: domestic civil liberties, anti-Semitism, and immigration and refugees.
· Coordinate and/or lead community education meetings, workshops and events. Examples: local and national policy briefings, volunteer and service learning programs, sponsorship of and participation in relevant rallies and protests, and missions.
· Establish meaningful and mutually beneficial relationships with community partners, including synagogues, churches, local and national advocacy organizations, government agencies, national and international social service providers, and more.
· Develop and manage opportunities for public presentations, to enhance public awareness of Stephen Wise’s social action initiatives.
· Manage regular email communication to task forces and the Stephen Wise community at large in order to maintain regular participation, resourcing and visibility.
· Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in program management. Experience organizing around the following issues is a plus: refugee and immigrant rights, voting rights, gun violence prevention, women’s reproductive rights, and efforts to fight anti-Semitism in the United States and abroad.
· Proven ability to manage internal and external stakeholders in order to advance the collective vision and aspirations of the Stephen Wise Free Synagogue congregation. Exceptional organizational skills.
· Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines and achieve outcomes for multiple, simultaneous campaigns.
· Self-starter. Ability to work effectively, both independently and as a member of a team.
Bachelor’s degree required
Salary will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the selected candidate.
Full health benefits, paid vacation, and other employee benefits.
Stephen Wise Free Synagogue is a modern Reform congregation that is dedicated to worship, the study of Torah, the welfare and perpetuation of the Jewish People and the state of Israel, and repairing the world. We are inspired by the teachings of our ancient heritage as interpreted through the unique context of our own times. The principles of freedom of the pulpit, social justice and democracy that have guided the synagogue since its founding in 1907 by Rabbi Stephen Wise and continue to be a guide and inspiration.
For more information, please visit www.swfs.org.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required