Public Policy & Research Assistant
- Job posted by American Association of University Women - Headquarters
1310 L Street, NW
Summary Description: This position provides administrative support and substantive federal and state policy, legal, and research support to the Senior Vice President of Public Policy and Research.
· Assists in responding to requests for information on our public policy, legal advocacy and research work.
· Participates in and acts as a liaison for team projects and assists in assembling intra- and inter-departmental information on an as-needed basis.
· Keeps up-to-date on policy issues, recent research, and legal cases by reading newspapers, magazines, professional journals, and other relevant sources.
· In conjunction with other staff in the department, helps manage and track the organization’s participation in sign-on letters, endorsement of legislation, and legal cases supported by AAUW.
· Assists SVP with drafting and editing AAUW material, including congressional letters, talking points, speaking remarks, factsheets, know your rights documents, voter education material, research reports, and legal case summaries.
· Helps to write, research, and edit articles for AAUW publications, including Washington Update, In the Statehouse, and LAF Express.
· Represents the SVP and AAUW at coalition, task forces, and other outside meetings.
· Assists SVP with scheduling and coordination of internal and external meetings, including tracking and scheduling congressional hearings.
· Performs basic clerical tasks, including word processing, copying, mailing, filing, organizing letters, and managing routine office business.
· Answers routine questions and route special inquiries on behalf of the SVP; uses initiative and judgment to see that matters requiring attention are referred to appropriate staff.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of annual budgets for the department.
· Reconciles SVP’s check requests and expense reports; assists with travel arrangements.
· Assists SVP with accurate preparation of federal lobbying reports for department.
· Be an active supporter and participant in a collegial and productive work environment.
- Works as a member of the Public Policy & Research team to ensure AAUW’s goals.
· Performs other related/comparable duties as required and assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree required; paralegal experience a plus.
· At least two years’ related work experience.
· Basic understanding of legislative and judicial processes and familiarity with government research databases.
· Knowledge of employment, education, women’s rights, and civil rights issues.
· Good organizational skills required; strong computer skills required, including Outlook, Excel, and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with Quorum, CapWiz, Knowlegis, Salsa/COSM, StateNet, and/or other advocacy platforms is preferred.
· Ability to organize work, follow through on projects, anticipate project needs, function independently as well as part of a team, and work effectively with volunteers.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to analyze and synthesize information quickly and accurately.
- Ability to demonstrate and establish professionalism with diverse audiences in person, over the phone, and in written communications.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating position title (Public Policy & Research Assistant) to firstname.lastname@example.org.