948 Hollister Avenue
The Director of Development and Communication (DDC) will lead fundraising and communications at OnePurpose School, which is in its third year of operation. The DDC will drive OP's fundraising success and momentum and communications/branding programs that support fundraising and the school’s image and reputation. In OP's first year of operation, OP raised $575,000. In OP’s second year of operation OP raised $1.1 million. 100% of Board Members have contributed to OP every year.
The DDC will work closely with the CEO on all aspects of development and communication including: strategy, execution, and direct asks. The CEO expects to allocate 50% of his time to fundraising and has raised over $15 million in his nonprofit career. The DDC will also have significant contact with the Board Chair and the Chair of the Board Development Committee.
This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial fundraiser who wants to drive the expansion of a young organization’s development and communication efforts. OP views development and communication as positively and inextricably intertwined. The DDC is a full-time or 3⁄4 time position, depending on the candidate, and will supervise two direct reports.
About OnePurpose School
OnePurpose School is a free, public charter school serving children living in San Francisco’s highest-poverty neighborhoods. We are in our third year of operation and currently serve 160 students in Transitional Kindergarten to 3rd grade. We plan to grow one grade level a year up to grade 12.
Located in the Bayview neighborhood, OP students are almost all low-income children of color -- 92% are African-American or Latino, 90% qualify for free or reduced lunch, and 30% are English Language Learners. OP has already had significant academic success. At the end of the last school year, 50% of OP students were reading at grade level and 20% were reading above grade level. The school’s attendance rate is 93%.
OnePurpose School has developed a new model for educating low-income students of color, offering a progressive college preparatory program with high behavioral and academic expectations, delivered with love. The school invests in socio-emotional support to address head-on the trauma many of its students experience in their homes and communities. Other pillars of its model include project-based learning, a focus on literacy, and parent involvement. We provide free before and after school care, four meals a day, and both a longer school day and school year than San Francisco Unified School District. More information about OP can be found at www.onepurposeschool.org.
- Leads strategic planning for development and communication.
- Writes the strategy, with input from the Board and CEO.
- With the BOD, CEO, and staff, sets annual fundraising targets.
- Leads strategy implementation.
- Reviews and analyzes ongoing effectiveness of fundraising and programs.
- Drives midcourse corrections of strategy.
- Drafts/oversees drafting and distribution of all major communication (e.g., annual reports, appeals, stewardship materials, collateral materials, newsletters).
- Staffs the development committee of the Board.
- Prepares/oversees the preparation of donor reports, written proposals, and presentations.
- Researches/ oversees the research of foundations, manages foundation relationships.
- Grows a major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of donors.
- Directs the Annual Fund campaign.
- Develops strategies for each principal gift cultivation and solicitation.
- Directs stewardship of all donors.
- Staffs the CEO, BOD and Development Committee members on cultivation and solicitation meetings with current and prospective donors.
- Facilitates relationships between current and prospective principal gift donors and the CEO, BOD, and Development Committee members.
- Builds OP social media presence so that it is an effective development and communications vehicle.
- Conceives of and directs fundraising and branding events (spring benefit dinner, young professionals events, house parties, education speaker series).
- Oversees gift processing and donor information systems, ensuring that internal systems and technology support development and communications efforts and are in line with best practices.
- Five to seven years of relevant experience in nonprofit fundraising and communications, including quantifiable successes.
- Experience building and executing development/communications strategies that identify and cultivate gifts from high net-worth individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong comfort serving as an external representative for OP.
- Strong management skills, including the ability to inspire, motivate, influence and hold staff accountable to high standards.
- Knowledgeable about San Francisco Bay Area philanthropic community
- Is a proactive and creative problem-solver with an ability to be both strategic
- and tactical when implementing solutions.
- Experience effectively leveraging social media for communication and/or development purposes.
- Results-oriented self-starter, flexible, collaborative, and able to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Comfort with ambiguity, values self-reflection and continuous learning.
- Passionate about OP’s mission and able to share compelling connection to this work.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, master’s degree preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter to Daniel McLaughlin, OnePurpose School CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org