Conveners.org believes in the transformative power that convening, when done right, has to positively change the world. We are a nonprofit organization that helps get the right people in the right rooms having the right conversations to change the world. Our programs include:
- Convening the Conveners is a peer-learning network for conference and event organizers in the social impact space. Our members come together to solve problems, share best practices, learn, experiment, and most importantly, connect.
- Accelerating the Accelerators plays a similar role for social impact-focused incubators and accelerators.
- Convening Circles is a training and support model for conveners to drive authentic action in their communities between convenings.
- Advisory Services is how we support and build capacity for participant-driven experience design and facilitation for mission-aligned foundations and corporate partners around the world.
We’re a small and mighty, completely distributed team currently living in DC, SF, Boulder and Guatemala City, and we truly live our values:
- We put health and family first - With very rare exceptions, we work 40 hour weeks. Our schedules are flexible, we have systems in place to help each other cope with crises small and large; we choose the holidays that are meaningful to us and actually unplug when we take time off.
- We practice compassionate transparency - From company finances to family milestones, our team is exceptionally open. We have boundaries, but they are set very mindfully.
- Diversity makes us stronger - This is not lip service. We actively seek out and engage people with different experiences, perspectives, ideas, and backgrounds than our own. Our work, and our lives, are better for it.
- We don’t hand out fish - We are committed to a capacity-building approach in all our work. Yes, it’s harder, more complex, and usually takes longer. It’s also worth it.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Our Communications Director is the champion of Conveners.org’s voice, branding, and marketing to help us further our purpose-first work, grow our community, and deepen our presence in the impact ecosystem globally. The Communications Director unifies the voice of Conveners.org across channels and is an integral part of the growth and sustainable future of the organization as a whole. We seek a skilled and experienced writer with a growth mindset who will both focus and amplify the impact of the programs we run and the conveners we serve through them.
Our Communications Director will work closely with and report to the Chief of Staff (COS) to build our social media and communications strategy, drive our branding and marketing strategy, and help to create a solid online presence in the social impact space. Our organization has a history of embracing co-leadership between our co-founders and we are looking for a candidate who is excited about the opportunity to work in deep collaboration with a small high-performing team.
Attributes of an awesome Communications Director include:
- Exceptional purpose-driven verbal/written communication and presentation skills
- Passion for social impact and community building. Knowledge of, and a robust, network within, the social impact space and other initiatives committed to social and environmental good is a plus.
- Experience, curiosity, and enjoyment around:
- Project management across multiple team members and timelines
- Wordpress website design and management
- Blog strategy, including cross and guest posting. Connections with publications in the social impact space a plus.
- Crafting and managing a social media strategy across multiple social media and communications networks (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, Twitter, Mailchimp, Google Ads, etc)
- Mixed media design and editing (graphic, video, podcasting, etc)
- Working remotely as part of a team or individually
- A great self-starter and independent worker who manages their time and responsibilities
- Working with remote team communication/collaboration platforms (Slack, GSuite, Pipedrive, and Zoom) a plus
- Champion of Conveners.org brand and messaging
- Managing editorial calendar
- Creating and managing the Conveners.org email marketing strategy (we use Mailchimp)
- Creating and managing our social media strategy and promotion
- Managing our blog and assisting with content and copyediting
- Managing the Conveners.org website (via Wordpress)
- Creating graphics for social media promotion and marketing for core projects
- Managing our Global Calendar of Events (adding and editing events of our member and community throughout the year)
- Managing internal and external resources to create marketing and communications assets (solutions overviews, case studies, brochures) to further member and partner goals
- Exploring and defining potential strategic media partnerships for Conveners.org - both to advance our own impact goals and as benefits to our members
- Leading thought leadership efforts of the organization through blog posts, guest posting, editorials, whitepapers, etc.