Peace Action is the nation’s largest peace and social justice lobby, working to abolish nuclear weapons, end international arms trafficking, and cut the military budget to allow investment in education, health care, and other community needs.
A development associate engages our major donors by personally presenting our work, our strategies, our stories and our history, with the purpose of strengthening their identification with and financial commitment to the organization and its cause. In addition, we seek to expand our support base and political clout through their networks and personal contacts.
The ideal candidate possesses strong interpersonal skills, a great passion to build momentum for the advancement of a foreign policy rooted in cooperation and human rights. The associate should have a deep commitment to acquiring knowledge on peace and justice issues (with particular attention relating to U.S. foreign policy), and an ability to inspire others.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for making formal and informal presentations to our major donors about the work of Peace Action.
- Responsible for meeting a monthly fundraising & visit budget.
- Responsible for the renewal and investment of assigned sponsors-with the goal of significantly increasing their commitment to Peace Action.
- Responsible for requesting and following up on leads from current development donors.
- Responsible for assisting in existing or new development programs. Responsible for planning and executing house parties and other events.
- Responsible for timely dissemination of political, promotional and outreach materials to sponsors including letters, updates, action alerts, emails, holiday cards, and other materials.
- Responsible for maintaining current giving and contact records on all donors.
- Responsible for timely deposits, follow-up, and recordkeeping on all pledges, outstanding and fulfilled.
- Responsible for ongoing coordination of Major Gifts work with field and phone outreach programs.
Training and Program Integration
- Responsible for ongoing personal education relating to all current program work, the status of legislation, the ongoing reading and sharing of news items relevant to our issues and of interest to sponsors.
- Must attend annual program, membership, staff advancement & cadre meetings.
- Position includes periodic travel to other Peace Action offices for the purpose of training and fundraising.
- Proven phone and/or field outreach and fundraising skills.
- Strong attention to detail and systems oriented.
- Strong writing skills.
- Self-motivated and self-accountable.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong teamwork skills including the ability to solve work challenges in a relaxed and collegial manner.
- Desire to develop in the position and increase responsibilities.
- Commitment to grassroots organizing and a diverse, supportive & challenging work atmosphere.
- Experience with Filemaker Pro, Excel, and Word helpful.
- Preference given to candidate living in or willing to relocate to San Francisco Bay area, with California driver's license
- Starting annual salary $34,000+DOE
- 3 weeks paid vacation/year, 4 weeks after the completion of 2 full years worked
- Full health and dental insurance coverage
- 12 paid holidays a year
- 12 paid sick days a year
- Pension program
- Paid sabbaticals
- Maternity/paternity leave after one year
Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ Strongly Encouraged to Apply