2475 Southern Boulevard
Young Audiences New York has been selected as the lead Community Based Organization (CBO) for a multi-year 21st Century Learning program at PS205X in the Belmont neighborhood of the Bronx. In partnership with the school and District 10 we will create, launch, and implement a distinctive, holistic, arts-centered “community school” approach that engages a diversity of partners in providing new enrichment opportunities for children and their families.
We are looking for an exceptional, full-time Assistant Coordinator who will work for Young Audiences New York at our Community School in Belmont, Bronx. This dynamic leader will work closely with the Community School Coordinator to integrate programming throughout the school and community, resulting in improved student learning, thriving families, and a thriving neighborhood. This position is budgeted to run for 10 months, and scheduled to begin in September 2018.
Background on Community Schools
Community Schools offer a holistic approach toward improving academic performance driven by strong, collaborative partnerships among principals, parents, teachers, and CBOs. In Community Schools, parents are real and active partners in their children’s education, the school climate is joyful and positive, and expanded learning opportunities are abundant.
Core outcomes are two-fold. At the student-level, community schools aim for increased attendance and student engagement; connectedness to adults; development of social and emotional skills; and improved academic performance. At the school-level, community schools aim for improved school culture; more actively engaged families; and seamless service delivery with partner organizations.
Background on Young Audiences New York
Young Audiences New York gives children and youth from under-resourced schools and neighborhoods a chance to experience and create art. We offer both broad reach and significant depth. During the past year, we have served nearly 50,000 of New York City’s children and youth during the school day and after school. We apply our depth of experience in the field to operate extremely efficiently, on a budget of just over 2 million dollars.
As a 65-year old organization, we remain pioneers with an ambitious agenda, working to deepen our impact as we leverage the arts to generate new opportunities for children and youth in our most under-resourced schools and neighborhoods. Our programming intentionally integrates the creation of art with the development of important life skills, expanded social networks, and increased belief in a positive future.
A central component of the Community Schools approach is the integration and alignment of school- and community-based services throughout an expanded learning day (such as health, mental health, counseling, and academic enrichment). The anchor to this work is our art focused after-school program which serves over 350 students throughout the program year. The Assistant Coordinator will serve an instrumental role in both organizing and supporting our effort to provide quality programming. As an arts organization, Young Audiences New York envisions an arts-centric approach to programming at PS205X—with arts as the river running through all of the opportunities available to youth and their families (e.g. STEAM, sports, healthy living, etc.).
· Support a team of group leaders, teachers, and teaching artists as we work collectively to provide after-school programming for over 350 elementary aged students.
o Create and review lesson plans and activities.
o Conduct classroom observations and share feedback with the Community School Coordinator.
o Play an active role in the professional development of YANY staff.
o Help coordinate events such as family nights, health fairs, and performances.
· Actively participate in School Team (CST) Meetings. Support the development of the school’s Community School Plan.
· Lead by example to reinforce our core components such as positive discipline and project-based learning to build a culture that values growth mindset.
· Develop strong relationships with staff, parents, students, and teachers, and ensure that all stakeholders understand what a community school is and how it supports student achievement.
· Responsible for the inventory and ordering of supplies
· Help maintain the program and staffing schedules
· Support attendance and data entry
· Maintain participant and staff files
· Support the fiscal administrative process for staff including the timely submission of timesheets and reimbursement forms.
· High School Diploma or Equivalency Required.
· DOE fingerprinting and background clearances.
· Bi-lingual (Spanish), helpful but not required.
· Takes initiative—and follows through.
· Well organized and quick learner.
· Excellent people skills, upbeat and can-do demeanor.
· Ability to work effectively with school aged youth, educators, families, and communities from a wide range of cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
· Experience working in school-based settings, with knowledge about tenants of community organizing, student support services, and youth development theories and the arts.
· Ability to work collaboratively, with strong relationship building skills.
Young Audiences New York offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual (Spanish), helpful but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates: Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title "Community School Assistant Coordinator" in the subject line.
Young Audiences New York provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.