908 Wahler Place, SE
What You Will Do
The Culture Specialist supports the Culture Team (Assistant Principal of Culture, Dean of Scholars, and Scholar Services Coordinator) in creating a positive, structured and disciplined school culture that promotes academic excellence. This individual assists in ensuring that the school’s core values – Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery (DREAM) – serve as drivers of scholar behavior and habits of mind.
Reporting to the Assistant Principal of Culture and supporting all scholars, you will:
- Maintain a school culture based on our ethos and core values of Determination,Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
- Implement Achievement Prep scholar culture systems, processes, and procedures with fidelity
- Uphold the Achievement Prep standard for behavior management
- Work with struggling scholars (e.g. disruptive, in crisis) to help them successfully transition back into their classroom environment
- Be highly present and visible, proactively circulating throughout classrooms and public spaces during the day to gain valuable context on scholar behavior and relentlessly ensuring a positive school environment
- Communicate observations and/or concerns regarding scholars’ physical and psychological status to members of the Culture Team and Campus-Based Leadership Team
- Process all incentive and discipline-related paperwork for individual scholars and advisories/classes on a daily basis
- Complete data collection and input into scholar information system(s) in an appropriate, accurate, and timely manner
- Play an active role in community spaces (i.e. lunch supervision, hallway posts, dismissal facilitation, etc.) and during major transitions during the school day
- Collaborate with other members of the Culture Team to implement school culture systems that effectively incentivize and reward positive behaviors and correct disruptive behaviors
- Support in the development and implementation of individualized behavior plans for scholars
- Frequently and consistently communicate with families of scholars struggling behaviorally regarding progress and strategies
- Ensure the safety of all scholars
- Support in ensuring that the physical environment of the school reinforces school culture and facilitates scholar achievement
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Frequently and proactively communicate with the families of scholars who are struggling behaviorally to report progress and strategize on interventions
- Participate in meetings with families and scholars, as needed
- Conduct home visits, as needed
- Assist teachers, scholars, and parents in the effective implementation of individual behavior plans
- Support the process of distributing all scholar “paychecks” and other behavior reports to scholars and families
- Support family and community events (including monthly evening events)
- Keep accurate scholar discipline records, documenting all progress toward intervention goals, parent conferences, suspensions, and phone calls for behavior
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment; support and hold others accountable for the same
Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep’s mission for our scholars
You Must Have
- High school diploma/GED
- 2+ years of experience working with children in an urban setting from historically underserved communities
It Would Be Nice for You to Have
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1+ years of experience working in a school
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of or by all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You understand your effectiveness and performance is directly tied to a strong, joyous, safe and productive school culture. You know culture and instruction are inextricably linked, with the establishment of a strong culture taking precedence in order to promote an environment that is 100% conducive to learning. You respect timelines and know that meeting the same are not optional or to be taken for granted. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn’t easy and don’t expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from principal
- Regular coaching from network-based leadership
- Opportunities to participate in external professional development that increases effectiveness in the role
- Compensation & Benefits:
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation and benefits
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4% of salary
- It Pays to Stay:
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Minimum Education Required