148 West 37 Street
The Horticultural Society of New York (the Hort) is seeking an energetic and dedicated Horticulture Manager to manage our Human Service Organization partners and workforce, and supervise landscaping projects. Our projects are primarily sourced from supportive and affordable housing, health service providers, drug rehabilitation facilities, city schools, public libraries, and other organizations as well as private and public garden spaces. This position will carry out garden maintenance and projects in a timely and professional manner and will help oversee a work crew consisting of trainees from our workforce development program (individuals who are looking to develop skills and experience as gardeners); and communicate progress on landscape projects to management. This position requires one to work independently and manage multiple projects at once.
For over two decades, The Hort has provided low-cost landscape and garden design, remediation, construction, and maintenance services for under-resourced organizations and groups. These projects increase food access, improve air and water quality, and enhance the overall quality of life for low-income and disadvantaged families. The Hort helps to create green spaces that improve the health, well-being and enjoyment of the constituents. Our professional horticulturists, horticultural therapists, and gardeners work with our trainees and local residents to createornamental gardens, urban farms, communal gardens, green roofs, rain gardens and rainwater harvesting systems for communities in underserved areas.
- 4 year degree in Horticulture or applicable certificate. To be considered, you must have a degree/certificate in Horticulture.
- Horticulturist/gardener with 3 or more years of hands-on experience designing, building, and maintaining urban green spaces, gardens, and urban farms
- Interest in working with participants to enhance their well-being through active or passive involvement in plant and plant-related activities
- Knowledge of green infrastructure design and implementation
- Valid New York State Driver’s License
- Excellent communications skills, including ability to take initiative and perform follow-up
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects at once
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Only responses with a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements will be considered. Please email all documents to George Pisegna at firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Horticulture Manager" in the subject line.
No phone calls please.