87/F International Commerce Centre One Austin Road
Room to Read is seeking a Development Director for Hong Kong to lead our team in the market. Reporting to the Senior Development Director, Asia Pacific, the Development Director will be responsible for overall fundraising strategy and execution regarding individuals, corporations, and foundations within the Hong Kong market.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage a team in Hong Kong to raise more than USD 4-6 million annually.
- Provide management and leadership to the development team consisting of three full-time staff whose collective primary responsibilities include liaising with donors and soliciting donations, identifying new potential investors, maintaining accurate donor records, financial management, event management, coordinating with local volunteer chapters and representing Room to Read in the market.
- Establish and monitor revenue goals and expenditure for all areas of development for the Hong Kong market.
- Work closely with Room to Read Founder, John Wood, based in Hong Kong, to reach annual revenue goals and identify new prospective investors.
- Support other Executive Staff and the Hong Kong Development Board as they represent Room to Read to various constituencies.
- Manage the Hong Kong Development Board in collaboration with Executive Staff.
- Manage a portfolio of relationships with high-level individual and corporate donors in the region with a goal of raising a minimum of USD3MM+ annually.
- Oversee the annual Hong Kong fundraising gala with a revenue goal of USD3MM+ from existing and new donors.
- Represent Room to Read at various fundraising events and in donor cultivation meetings.
- Act as a support to the Senior Development Director, APAC, for the entire region. Together with the Senior Development Director, APAC, develop and implement an ambitious annual fundraising strategy for Hong Kong.
- Provide input to the Global Office on donor communications, strategy, and reporting for Hong Kong.
- Conduct research on individuals, corporations, and family foundations with the goal of uncovering new prospects in the region.
- Ensure that donor records and revenue forecasts are accurate within Development Department databases (Salesforce.com as appropriate).
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 10 years work experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization with at least 2 years of nonprofit development experience
- Demonstrated ability to raised funds in the range of USD 2.5 – 3 million annually. If not a non-profit fundraiser, has raised the equivalent or more in the private sector.
- Experience independently raising six and seven figure gifts.
- Experience working with Boards to raise six and seven figure gifts.
- Demonstrated ability to work with both expats and local Asia Pacific high net worth individuals and corporations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and nurture business development and administrative teams.
- Work experience in Asia, Hong Kong preferred
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to nonprofit organizations
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute business development activities
- Proven ability to work strategically with senior executives
- Strong presentation skills
- Positive initiative and mature judgment
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Able to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills in English
- Ability to travel
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Experience living or working internationally is a plus
- Hong Kong working visa is a plus
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through education.
Global Office - Hong Kong
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
Minimum Education Required