Middle School Spanish Teacher, SY 2018-2019
- Job posted by Creative Minds International Public Charter School
3700 North Capitol Street Northwest
Sherman Building #217
District of Columbia
Creative Minds International PCS is currently seeking a Middle School Spanish Teacher who can provide highly-engaging, rigorous, international and inclusive education plan that provides students with the knowledge and skills required for successful participation in a global society through a project- and arts-based international curriculum that fosters creativity, self-motivation, social/emotional development, and academic excellence. Candidates must have experience as a classroom teacher with a background teaching native and non-native speakers, and have a passion for fostering inquiry and facilitating project-based learning for Middle School students.
CMI embraces an inclusive and child-centered approach to education that respects the integrity of each and every student. We believe in the importance of meeting the educational requirements of students with a diversity of backgrounds and learning styles. We are looking for a candidate who can prepare our students for success and emotional well-being in a globalized world.
The Middle School Spanish Teacher provides rich, differentiated learning experiences for students with a diversity of learning levels (remedial to advanced). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching students who are both native and non-native speakers of Spanish;
- Integration of the International Primary Curriculum, International Middle-Years Curriculum, and relevant Common Core State Standards
- Establishing clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and assessments;
- Providing an inviting, exciting, and innovative learning environment;
- Meeting the needs, interests and abilities for all students, including students with disabilities, ELL students, and those who are gifted and talented;
- Developing lesson plans that draw content from CMI professional development in the areas of arts integration and child development to reinforce student learning;
- Monitoring student progress through frequent formal and informal student evaluations recorded in portfolio assessments;
- Using a variety of instructional materials, resources, and experiences to enrich student learning;
- Providing educational opportunities that reflect an understanding of students’ unique sensory and information processing profiles;
- Using appropriate techniques and strategies that promote and enhance creative problem-solving and evaluative thinking of students;
- Creating a learning environment that reflects the theme(s) being studied through displays of student work and teacher-created materials;
- Working with families to support the progress of individual students;
- Valuing the importance of play and providing opportunities for child-initiated explorations in the classroom throughout the day;
- Using effective, positive, and respectful interpersonal communication skills;
- Establishing positive relationships with colleagues, students, families and the community which reflect recognition of and respect for every individual;
- Incorporating technology into instruction;
- Attending required professional development sessions.
CMIPCS is a tuition-free school located in NW Washington, DC, authorized to serve students from preschool through 8th grade. Now in its fifth year of operation, CMI serves 341 students in Preschool (3 year olds) through 6th grade. Beginning of the 2016-2017 school year, CMI expanded to include two 6th-grade classes, marking the opening of its new Middle School. Two sections of -7th grade will be added in 2017-2018 with 2 classes of 8th being offered in the subsequent year.
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society. CMI is a unique and dynamic working environment with a respectful and positive school culture. We offer a highly-engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities with an emphasis in STEAM that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
Why join CMIPCS?
Our mission is to provide students with the foundational skills required for successful participation in a global society by offering a highly engaging, international curriculum with project- and arts-based activities that foster creativity, self-motivation, social and emotional development, and academic excellence.
At CMIPCS you will join a staff uniquely committed to a vision of inclusion and equity for all types of learners. At CMIPCS you will find a team of educators who deeply believe that all students can learn and will make a contribution to their community. Our dedication to Arts-Integration allows for a creative and collaborative atmosphere, as classroom lead teachers, support staff, and enlightenment teachers all work together to plan engaging and enriching content that weaves the Arts into all subjects. At CMIPCS, we take seriously the idea that “no significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” Each of our educators, regardless of role or responsibility, is committed to seeking out best practices for delivering instruction and responding to the academic and social-emotional needs of all children. The CMIPCS teacher is empathetic and welcoming of mistakes (both academic and behavioral) because CMIPCS educators know that mistakes lead to learning opportunities if children are held to high standards.
CMIPCS offers an exceptional and dynamic working environment with a positive and supportive culture including small class sizes (approximately 20), higher than average adult to student ratios, weekly and monthly professional development, comprehensive and generous benefits including medical, dental, 401K (with employer contributions), short and long term disability, life insurance, paid school holidays, personal and sick days, and parental and family leave, among others.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s preferred);
- Possess or be eligible for a valid District of Columbia Teaching Certificate or License (standard or provisional);
- Passed the appropriate exams for the position (eg. Elementary Praxis II, Spanish: World Language);
- Bilingual Spanish/English (strongly preferred);
- Previous experience required.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability and experience to engage the interest of school‐age children;
- Prior teaching experience in a public or private school, preferably in an urban setting;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with parents;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member;
- Patience, flexibility, and a willingness to take risks;
- Consistent reflection on her/his own teaching practices;
- Experience working with linguistically and ethnically diverse student populations and children with developmental differences;
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and eagerness to learn;
- Demonstrated commitment to the well-being and success of all students.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
A successful application will include a resume and a cover letter detailing relevant experience and qualifications for this position and be submitted using our careers portal:
We will only be contacting candidates selected for interviews and will require letters of recommendation and/or references for any candidates being considered for this position.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Creative Minds International PCS is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.