The Alliance for Downtown New York manages the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Business Improvement District (BID) serving an area roughly from City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street. We provide a host of services, including supplemental sanitation and security, economic development, streetscape and transportation improvements, marketing and enhanced tourist services. As part of its supplemental services, the Downtown Alliance maintains planted areas across nine public spaces, as well as hundreds of planters throughout Lower Manhattan.
The Alliance for Downtown New York seeks applicants for the temporary position of Seasonal Watering and Irrigation Horticulturist Technician in the Operations Department. This position is for approximately 40 hours a week, with working hours of 6:00AM-2:00PM, five months out of the year from May through September. Reporting to the District Landscape Manager, the Seasonal Watering Technician will be responsible for performing irrigation and maintenance across nine public plazas and parks, which includes caring for planted areas and over 200 planters.
- Daily watering of elevated planters along Broadway and Nassau with motorized vehicles, watering of small parks and other planters throughout the district as needed.
- Assist in plantings, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, and moving of planters.
- Report all observed weed and pest problems.
- Proper maintenance of all horticulture equipment, including periodic inspection of all power equipment.
- Assist with setup and inspection of tables and chairs throughout the district.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in landscaping, gardening, or agriculture.
- High School diploma/GED is required.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work and navigate a vehicle in the urban environment of Lower Manhattan.
The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
This position may be eligible for overtime under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act for any hours worked over 40 in a workweek.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit electronic copies of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.