One Letterman Drive
At Humanity United, we believe in the power of people to bring about extraordinary change. The people that form part of our organization are no exception. As a member of the communications team, you will help HU achieve its mission to advance human dignity at home and around the world by shaping how HU communicates with its audiences, raising awareness about the issues we support, and helping HU achieve its strategic objectives.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to work across our organization with a variety of team members as a thought partner, strategy developer, and implementor of communications initiatives. This role can be located in either San Francisco, CA, or Washington DC.
The work HU engages in is important, urgent, and at times heavy. What keeps us moving is our team’s commitment to the work and each other. We embrace humility, learning, humor, and never shy away from the hard work we know is necessary to achieve the change we seek. If you are passionate about human rights, a self-starter, and a team player ready to help build a better world, we want to meet you!
Essential Job Functions
- Work across HU to deepen understanding of how communications can be used to advance our mission and strategic priorities.
- Develop and execute communications strategies in a fast-paced environment requiring initiative, rapid prioritization, and multitasking.
- Collaborate with external PR agency and oversee the development and execution of media strategies.
- Prepare and support HU staff for media engagements and events.
- Spearhead internal communications initiatives.
- Develop and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders, partners, and vendors.
- Positively contribute to HU’s culture.
- Lead and support other projects as required.
- A commitment to humility, empathy, and learning are a must.
- 5+ years of communications experience working on issues related to human rights, international development, philanthropy and/or policy advocacy with a nonprofit organization, foundation, government entity, private sector, or intergovernmental organization.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, influence others, and offer strategic perspective.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to develop relationships and communicate with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Media engagement experience required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing staff preferred
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic, problem solving skills, and a “can do” attitude.
- Passionate about human rights.
Other duties from time to time as determined by institution priorities.
ABOUT HUMANITY UNITED
Humanity United is a foundation dedicated to bringing new approaches to global problems that have long been considered intractable. We build, lead, and support efforts to change the systems that contribute to problems like human trafficking, mass atrocities, and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
Humanity United is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to treating all applicants and employees without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religious creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, military and veterans status, citizenship and immigration status, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This equal employment opportunity commitment applies to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to, advertising, recruiting, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, demotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination.
Humanity United offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required