Public Relations and Communications Specialist
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School’s mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The programs three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
Job Summary: The Public Relations and Communications Specialist is responsible for YBPCS branding, image and external communications.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Believe deeply in the mission and values of YBPCS
- Strong personal and professional commitment to social justice and social identities
- Develop and execute YBPCS’ media communications plan for fundraising, awareness and recruitment, including press releases, feature stories, broadcasts, and press conferences;
- Plan and implement press events around students’ community service projects, graduation, ribbon cuttings and special events;
- Maintain the school’s website, www.youthbuildphilly.org;
- Plan and execute online communications strategies, including e-newsletters, social networking sites, and other e-communications for YBPCS;
- Design, write, edit and mail all YBPCS print publications, including an annual report, brochures, fact sheets, invitations and newsletters;
- Assist Individual Giving Coordinator with annual giving campaign design and donor stewardship activities;
- Ensure brand consistency and integrity
- Support the Board of Trustees and Committees of the Board in sharing school related events and information on social media;
- Develop and implement the school’s Communications Strategy with annual updates/assistance from external experts;
- Serve as primary liaison and point of contact for partners as assigned;
- Develop and maintain a crisis communication plan;
- Assist YBPCS recruitment efforts and content development through marketing, design and social media;
- Assist with the planning and execution of all special events, including fund-raising events, graduation, ribbon-cutting ceremonies, site visits and media visits;
- Help prepare students and alumni for public speaking events (site visits, graduation, ribbon cutting, etc)
- Support department-wide efforts to collect applicant/student paperwork and documentation;
- Coordinate efforts to capture and share YBPCS success stories, grant compliance and performance metrics, and assist in developing strategies to “tell the story” of YBPCS and our commitment to education equity and social and racial justice.
- Develop contacts in all forms of media, including newspaper, television, radio and magazines;
- Network with potential donors;
- Research new funding opportunities available through on-line and other publications
- Attend weekly all staff, department and other meetings as required by the Chief Development Officer and Executive Director;
- Attend retreats, workshops, and conferences as required.
- Program Involvement:
- Participate in community service projects in keeping with service ethic of the school;
- Participate in the School’s Mentoring Program and attend bi-weekly GPS meetings;
- Participate in the school’s Keeper of Culture responsibilities;
- Participate in the school’s weekly Village Meeting and GPS advisory.
- Professional Development:
- Continue to develop skills through trainings and professional development offered at the school and outside
Other duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer or Executive Director.
YBPCS requires the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of public relations experience
- Ability to work enthusiastically with young-adult students
- High level of attention to detail and strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of decisions made
- Excellent ability to establish priorities, coordinate work activities, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced dynamic work environment with accuracy and attention to detail
- A self-starter, able to work independently and as a team, and able to adjust to shifting priorities and last minute changes
- Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- Strong analytical, organization and problem-solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Excellent people skills with the ability to build relationships across leadership levels and functions
- Tech savvy, and comfortable with design, web-content management and graphics editing and familiarity with WordPress, Canva, Network for Good, and all social media platforms
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- Act 168 - Sexual Misconduct Disclosure
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
An Equal Opportunity Employer