ACLU of Texas Border Rights Center Administrative Assistant
- Job posted by American Civil Liberties Union of Texas
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience
The Administrative Assistant performs general clerical duties to include but not limited to: calendar management, travel arrangements, handling and distributing correspondence, data entry, report and document preparation and formatting, photocopying, and filing. The Administrative Assistant works with the Office Manager to coordinate and maintain records for staff, office space, phones, company credit cards and office keys. Creates and modifies various documents using Microsoft Office Suite. Responsibilities include:
- Assist staff in planning, scheduling, and staffing events and other activities;
- Maintain files and other materials;
- Attend department and staff meetings;
- Assist with mailings, filing, and special projects as needed;
- Compose, type and proofread correspondence, meeting minutes, and other documents;
- Work with the Office Manager and other admin. assistants to manage Directors’ and staff travel;
- Complete and submit expense reports for Director in a timely manner.
- Conduct research, compile information, and analyze data for special projects and reports as requested;
- Manage calendars, schedule appointments, and meetings and oversee meeting logistics, both inside and outside of the office, for each;
- Maintain inventory, assemble, and disseminate office supplies, promotional and informational materials;
- Provide reception and telephone coverage;
- Provide assistance to coordinate volunteers and mailings;
- Attend certain in-state ACLU functions, including membership conferences, receptions;
- Back up other Administrative Assistants to support directors if absent;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Administrative Assistant must have a strong understanding of and passion for the ACLU mission. The Administrative Assistant will have to work independently with minimal supervision as well as collaborate with others as a part of a team in a collaborative environment. The Administrative Assistant must have extraordinary administrative skills be punctual, detail-oriented, focused, consistent and flexible with the following qualifications:
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience plus at least two years of relevant work experience;
- Prior experience that demonstrates a confident and professional work style, an ability to work creatively and independently, and to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances;
- Prior experience managing several projects at various stages of completion;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships in person and over the phone with volunteers, staff colleagues and the public;
- Proven writing and proofreading skills, with the ability to meet deadlines;
- Experience and a high degree of proficiency working with computers, the Internet and standard software titles such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.;
- Experience with databases is a plus;
- Excellent clerical, data management vocabulary, spelling, letter-writing, filing, and other office skills;
- Ability to accurately type 60 words per minute;
- Bilingual skills in Spanish desired;
- Travel and flexible work schedule required.
This position is based out of the Border Rights Center in El Paso, and reports to the Border Rights Center Director.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Electronic applications in MS Word or pdf format are preferred. Cover letter, resume, and three professional references can be submitted to:
Mail: ACLU of Texas, Attn: BRC Administrative Assistant Search, P.O. Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288