CWA Strategic Research Associate - Campus Worker Organizing Program
- Job posted by Communications Workers of America
The Strategic Research Associate for the Campus Worker Organizing Program will conduct research to support the Communications Workers of America (CWA) innovative program to assist public higher education workers in the South in their organizing efforts. The Strategic Research Associate will be responsible for conducting research on the higher education sector and developing a network of rank-and-file researchers among higher education workers in key states in the South. The role will also include organizing support activities, such as communications and on-the-ground leadership development. The CWA Campus Workers Organizing Program presents unique opportunities to support public higher education workers who do not have collective bargaining rights build power to make positive, progressive change.
The Strategic Research Associate will be based in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Provide analysis and information about higher education institutions across the U.S. South.
- Assist in the development of strategic campaign plans, engaging rank-and-file leadership in the process of campaign development.
- Develop data and research in support of public sector, non-majority campaigns.
- Play an active role in building campaigns, including membership committee building, coalition-building, political engagement, and communications.
- Report to campaign leads and regional organizing coordinators, with additional oversight from the CWA Research Department.
- Conduct analysis of Higher Education systems and worksites in key states.
- Conduct strategic analysis in support of current campaigns fighting privatization of public services, opposing the erosion of tenure and faculty rights, and advancing living wages and workers rights.
- Develop knowledge of relevant legal and political trends and developments in higher education.
- Develop and present analysis to union leadership and membership.
- Assist in developing approaches to support organizing and legislative agenda, including regulatory and legal engagement, political action, and other policy responses.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g., economics, finance, accounting, business administration, public administration, or academic research fields such as Sociology, Geography, Labor Studies), or equivalent experience.
- Relevant work experience (corporate research, financial analysis, campaign coordination, community organizing).
- Strong quantitative skills and ability to collate and analyze data.
- Ability to identify and understand trends within a sector.
- Excellent writing and communications skills, including ability to write near-final written research reports and campaign communications.
- Ability to present findings and recommendations in form of written reports or group presentations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, including research projects, requests from the field, and support for campaign execution.
- Familiarity with a variety of data resources used for public sector and corporate research.
- Commitment to the labor movement and progressive, democratic principles is essential.
- The position will be based in Atlanta, GA.
- Report to the CWA District 3 Organizing Coordinator, in consultation with the CWA Research Department in Washington, DC, and work closely with team leads.
- Wages: $51,040-$71,917 annually, depending on experience.
- Benefits, and other terms as per described in the Memorandum of Agreement.
- The position is covered by The Guild contract with CWA.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should forward their résumé, cover letter, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.