2401 Virginia Avenue, NW
ABOUT MIRIAM’S KITCHEN
Founded in 1983 as a soup kitchen, Miriam’s Kitchen has evolved over the years to provide more than meals. Today, Miriam’s Kitchen is a critical player in the fight to end chronic homelessness in DC. On the direct services level, we help our guests improve their health, increase their income and obtain housing through a range of programs and partnerships. And at the systems level, we work with leaders across the city to make instances of homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring.
As Development Assistant, you will join a team of experienced fundraising professionals and build experience in individual, foundation and corporate fundraising. You will join an organization where everyone is self-motivated, driven, and clear about our ultimate goal—ending veteran and chronic homelessness in DC.
We take our work seriously, AND we are committed to a culture of innovation, support and fun. Family friendly, life friendly and with the perk of a weekly staff lunch—Miriam's Kitchen is an exceptional organization. But don't take our word for it—Miriam's Kitchen has been recognized as a Best Place to Work by the Washingtonian in 2011 and 2013 and by the Washington Business Journal in 2009, 2010, and 2016.
If you are a fast learner who can see the forest and the trees, then we want to speak with you!
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Chief Development Officer caseload of donors by handling all major gift correspondence and donor files within our donor database.
- Will produce and maintain tracking reports for Chief Development Officer.
- Will keep a record of secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and offers, proposals and asks that will be used for donor calls by Chief Development Officer.
- Plan and implement appropriate recognition for all gifts including preparation of suitable thank you letters and other mechanisms of gift acknowledgement
- Respond to general donation inquiries
- Lead and manage spring and fall breakfast tours (~6x/year)
- Research volunteer database and alert team of corporate, foundation, and major donor prospects
- Regularly pull reports of giving to look for new major donor, foundation, and corporate prospects
- Prepare packets for donor meetings and outreach (e.g. media articles, proposals)
- Draft proposals and reports
- Attend other events as necessary
Administration and Finance
- Manage weekly deposits
- Maintain and oversee proper coding and prudent practices for donor gifts, pledges and history in Salesforce and on server
- Prepare timely and relevant reports to development team (e.g. status to goal, outstanding pledges, and LYBNTS) and board to help team prioritize fundraising activities, track progress to goal and collect on outstanding pledges
- Assist Chief Development Officer with expense reports, vendor invoices, etc.
- Assist with audit preparation
- Coordinate meeting space for donor meetings and development team
- Assist Communications Manager with updating website (e.g. adding new press coverage) and social media
- Monitor the firstname.lastname@example.org email
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Commitment to the mission and work of Miriam’s Kitchen and our guests experiencing homelessness
- Ability to handle donor correspondence in a professional and secure manner
- Ability to track donor information based on their giving and their potential
- Ability to assist Chief Development Officer to allow them maximum time with donors
- Ability to pull and maintain timely reports that reflect caseload performance.
- Ability to track people, process, deadlines and organize the department while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization
- Ability to keep the department organized
- Strong desire to fundraise and support a team, work collaboratively and interdepartmentally
- Ability to collaborate up, down and across the organization and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems
- Ability to be a team player and protect the mission, goals and values of the organization.
- Ability to work directly and independently with advisory boards and committees to schedule meetings and handle situations that pertain to major gifts.
- Maintain confidentiality of all donor information
- Able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines to completion
- Enthusiastic learner with drive to grow experience in fundraising
- Demonstrated record of handling calls, correspondence and internal operations.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with emphasis on accuracy.
- Strong problem solving, training and personal management skills. Must have initiative and have ability to follow through with little direct supervision.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required.
- Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word computer software. Additional experience with
- Wordpress, Salesforce (or another database), and social media desirable
- Must be able to lift and/or or carry up to 20lbs
Miriam's Kitchen offers a competitive benefits package including employer paid medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD and life insurance. Other benefits include a 403b retirement plan with a 6% employer contribution, parking, flexible spending accounts for health and transportation benefits, 35-45 days of PTO each year, and access to fitness centers.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. Your subject line should read: Development Assistant. Applications will be accepted until March 26, 2018.