Director of Operations
160 State Street
The mission of SCS Noonan Scholars is to help high-achieving, low-income, underrepresented students get into and graduate from top colleges equipped to reach their full career potential. Through a two-part, six-year-long program, SCS Noonan Scholars provides students with college counseling and intensive academic preparation before college and a comprehensive set of academic, personal, social-emotional, financial, and career supports throughout college. This continuum of support directly addresses the unique barriers they face in entering and succeeding at selective colleges and in competitive careers.
SCS Noonan Scholars is seeking an experienced Director of Operations to work with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) in the development of the organization’s internal infrastructure and to prepare the organization for growth and innovation. Based in Boston, Massachusetts, the Director of Operations will play a critical role to increase productivity and ensure effective and efficient day-to-day operations across the Boston and Los Angeles offices. The Director of Operations will help foster an inviting and supportive office environment that inspires employee engagement and performance. The ideal candidate for this role is detail oriented, process focused, a skilled problem solver and superior at developing high quality relationships.
The Director of Operations will supervise the Office Manager (Boston Office) and will report to the Chief Operating Officer (Los Angeles Office).
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including initiatives geared toward operational excellence.
- Lend operational expertise to support the Executive Leadership team in growth strategy and decision-making.
- Continually assess and recommend improvements to operational systems, processes and policies that add efficiency to the agency – specifically, support enhanced management reporting, information flow, business processes and organizational planning.
- Manage facility operations (Boston Office).
- Manage Boston-based vendor relationships and negotiate vendor contracts.
- Manage technology procurement and inventory control for the organization.
- Supervise and manage administrative support staff.
Human Resources Management & Development
- Support the COO in the development of HR systems, policies and resources.
- Manage the agencies HRIS system (BambooHR).
- Maintain all HR files (both electronic and physical) to ensure compliance with federal and state statutes.
- Review and update personnel policies and procedures as necessary.
- Manage staff hiring and discharge; implement the onboarding/offboarding processes.
- Provide benefits administration; Lead health benefits open enrollment.
- Maintain organizational insurance records and manage organizational insurance renewals.
- Remit information to requesting agencies (Employment Development, State Agencies, Insurance Companies).
Finance & Accounting
- Manage time and attendance tracking and benefits updates to ensure the timely processing of payroll.
- Collaborate with outsourced accounting service to ensure proper source documentation for month-end closing and audit preparation procedures.
- Process payables and receivables.
- Support the preparation of financial reports to the Board of Trustees, funders, tax preparers and auditors as needed.
- Support the audit and tax return preparation process.
Qualifications & Education
- Minimum of 5-7 years of operational management experience required, including personnel supervision/HR management
- Strong HR and technology background and work experience required
- BambooHR, Salesforce, Xero, Bill.com experience preferred
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Office products preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in business administration preferred
- Experience in non-profit operations management preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative management style
- Attention to detail essential as well as ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize work
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Knowledge of compliance implications of non-profit status
- Excels at operating in a team-oriented work environment
- Driven and passionate about serving an underserved community of high school and college students
Minimum Education Required