Details: Salary depending on experience.
Do you believe in the power of social media to create cultural change? Are you an activist with a knack for persuasive writing? Do you dream of using your design chops to craft the look and feel of cutting edge racial justice campaigns?
The Center for Media Justice (CMJ) is looking for a curious, creative, and motivated Digital Media Manager to do all this and more - at a critical moment in the fight for digital equity and racial justice. This new leader will put their social media, writing, and design skills towards defending social justice movements in the Trump era. They will promote campaigns to ensure an open Internet, disrupt high-tech surveillance of Black and Muslim communities, and push forward technology-based criminal justice reform. This is an exciting position with the freedom to flex multiple skill sets in service of one of the most important civil rights movements of our time!
The Communications Team creates and leads the identity and media content strategy at CMJ, representing and pushing forward the values and work of the organization in conjunction with a national network of allied grassroots organizations and activists (known as the Media Action Grassroots Network, or MAG-Net). As part of this team, the Digital Media Manager will organize, develop, and implement powerful online communications efforts that strengthen CMJ, support MAG-Net, and amplify our narratives to achieve communication rights and power for communities targeted by racism and other forms of inequality.
Working with our Communications Director, this is an opportunity for a social media expert - with an ability to write and produce compelling visual content - to join an all-star team of media justice organizers seeking to end institutional racism and poverty. It is a job that will bring deeply satisfying rewards if you thrive off creative freedom, dynamic relationship-building, and cultural change.
● Create, manage, and schedule social media content, including everything from writing copy to designing graphics.
● Assist in crafting the overall social media strategy of the organization.
● Maintain and update CMJ website(s), creating visual and editorial content as needed.
● Support updating of editorial calendar and facilitation of other internal communications.
● Write and send email alerts, and implement list-building activities.
● Create marketing materials and manage online aspects of donor events.
● Support implementation of grassroots fundraising plan and maintenance of internal database.
● Collaborate with Organizing Team on visuals, video, and text for campaigns, as needed.
● Support and implement additional communications activities as needed.
Required Skills, Experience, and Abilities
● Demonstrated success developing and implementing social media and other communication strategies for online and digital campaigns
● Demonstrated ability to expand communities and engage existing followers across multiple social media channels
● Experience working within social justice-oriented communications teams
● Familiarity with basic HTML, graphic design programs like Illustrator, and social media platforms like Tweetdeck.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while managing long-term priorities
● Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills
● Ability to travel a minimum of five times annually, work nights and weekends as needed
● Ability to effectively engage communities of color and other underrepresented groups
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● Experience video editing with tools like Premiere.
● Email marketing and online fundraising experience.
● Experience leading communications trainings.
● Understanding of SEO, web traffic and basic social media metrics.
● Familiarity with media rights, access, and/or representation issues.
● Experience with Wordpress, Salesforce, Basecamp, Nationbuilder and Cision.
● Bilingual written and verbal skills in Spanish/English
The Digital Media Manager is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position, and is supervised by the Executive Director of the Center for Media Justice. Salary is between $60,000 and $64,000 DOE with full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401(k), a substantial vacation package, and a quarterly personal wellness stipend.
Our preference is to have the Digital Media Manager based near our primary office in Oakland, CA or remotely in Philadelphia, PA. For the right candidate, we will also consider remote locations of LA, DC, and NYC.
Position to ideally start June 15, 2018. Applications due: April 20th 2018.
The Center for Media Justice
The Center for Media Justice (CMJ) is a national media justice organizing and training collaborative led by and for underrepresented communities, and home to our signature project, the Media Action Grassroots Network (MAG-Net). Our mission is to win media rights, access and representation for a more just and participatory democracy. To achieve this mission, we organize a national action network of affiliated organizations, deliver leadership training in communications and cultural organizing, and publish content that elevates the voices of underrepresented communities in debates on media, arts, and technology.
Full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401(k), a substantial vacation package, and a quarterly personal wellness stipend.
Level of Language Proficiency
English; Bilingual written and verbal skills in Spanish/English is a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, a writing sample, and one additional material demonstrating your experience with social media strategy and digital organizing, along with a cover letter expressing why you’re the right candidate to grow the power of the Communications Team at the Center for Media Justice.
Materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Media Manager.” Please send PDFs only.
People of color, women, formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ individuals, and progressive visionaries are encouraged to apply.