Organization Overview: The Stanley M. Isaacs Neighborhood Center (Isaacs Center) is a non-profit, multi-service organization focusing primarily on the needs of children and low-income families, out-of-school and out-of-work youth, and aging New Yorkers. We operate at community centers located in the neighborhoods of East Harlem and Yorkville, and seek to deliver programs that are impactful, innovative, and intergenerational.
Position Summary: The Lead Production Cook will lead the Soup’s Up team in preparing, executing and packaging emergency meals for community members who are in need of food assistance. The Lead Production Cook will oversee production cooks and interns as they prepare, chill, and portion ready-to-eat meals for delivery. They will also assist in receiving weekly wholesale produce deliveries and repacking the produce, plus other non-perishable goods, into at least 200 boxes per week and then aid in distribution. Work will be performed in-person at E.Terra Kitchen’s 1580 Park Avenue location and the Isaacs Center’s 415 E. 93rd St. Commercial Kitchen. Kitchen locations are subject to change based on availability.
Schedule: 20-30 hours per week.
Goddard Riverside and Isaacs Center follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
- Assist Culinary Operations Manager with menu planning and production
- Under the direction of the Culinary Operations Manager, provide guidance to kitchen staff regarding food preparation, food packaging, time management, and meal kit distribution
- Follow recipes, scaling as needed to create 200+ portions per week
- Ensure that all dishes are prepared in a timely manner and meeting prep times to ensure smooth delivery
- Unpack deliveries, label, store, and rotate food/packaging inventory.
- Oversee cleaning, sanitizing, and supporting equipment maintenance in kitchen and storage areas
- Lead the portioning and packaging of ready-to-eat foods, produce, and non-perishable goods for weekly distributions
- Follow the lead of the Culinary Operations Manager on distribution days to ensure success of deliveries and pick-ups
- Report appliance/equipment failure to the Culinary Operations Manager in a timely manner
- Maintain a clean and hygienic work environment at all times
- Responsible for adhering to safe food handling best practices, as it pertains to food preparation and storage
- Assist with managing visiting volunteers and interns in the kitchen.
- Actively participate in all aspects of staff development, including weekly supervision, team meetings, and training throughout the year
- Perform other duties as required
- A track record of positive performance, especially one which was highlighted by punctuality and attendance
- Possession of Food Handlers License, issued by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (or the ability to attend
- finish/training in an expeditious manner).
- 2+ years experience in a kitchen setting
- A willingness to discuss job performance, accept and apply performance feedback and consistently strive for excellence
- Completion of a guided culinary job skills training program or other professional culinary certification, preferred
- Ability to stoop, bend, lift and carry up to 50 + lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to walk multiple miles outdoors in one shift, in order to make deliveries
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Experience or interest in serving older adults in a community center setting.
- Bilingual, English/Spanish or English/Mandarin is a plus
- A valid driver’s license is a plus
- Ability to work holidays at times, with advance notice, based on distribution needs
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends, if needed
- Utilize the provided personal protective equipment such as masks and gloves at all times; use provided hand sanitizer as needed
- Wash hands before the start of the work shift, throughout your shift as needed, and at the end of the work shift
- Follow established cleaning, sanitizing, and safety procedures
- Report immediately; personal flu-like symptoms and/or symptoms related to Covid-19
- Report immediately; personal exposure to others who have exhibited flu-like symptoms and/or symptoms related to Covid-19
- The Isaacs Center is an equal opportunity employer. The agency does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, socio-economic status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, religion or creed, disability, or political or sexual orientation.
- Diversity is a fundamental strength of the Isaacs Center.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of duties and responsibilities that will be required of this position and title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job related task other than those specifically presented in this description. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.