District of Columbia
Generation is a global youth employment program that helps provide young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Generation is the first program of the McKinsey Social Initiative, a nonprofit founded by McKinsey & Company. Generation US has already launched healthcare, customer service, construction, and IT programs in Pittsburgh, Wilmington, San Jose, San Francisco, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Houston, Jacksonville and Miami.
In October 2018, Generation is launching a pilot program to help our employer partner, Nando’s, recruit for and train incoming staff for runner, host, and cashier positions. The program is expected to train eight 20-25 person cohorts over 12 months in the DMV (i.e. DC, Maryland and Virginia) area. After a successful pilot, we hope to continue to scale our program in other stores.
We are seeking a talented Mentor to drive results in four major areas: academic counseling, career counseling, alumni support, and social support. Additionally, the Mentor will be responsible for monitoring and tracking progress across all areas. The Mentor will report to the Generation DMV Partnership Manager.
This is a full-time employee with 12 months of guaranteed funding and possibility for extension.
- Facilitate weekly 1:1 academically-focused coaching conversations with each participant to set program goals, track performance, and provide positive, constructive, and goal-aligned feedback
- Identify at-risk participants and create individual education plans to help them succeed
- Monitor all participants’ academic goal progress
- Co-construct individualized “First Two Weeks Plan” for each participant to ensure long-term success on the job
- Monitor all participants’ career prospects, interviews, and other career information
- Ensure bi-monthly phone calls with participants for 90 days after Graduation to ensure retention, and strong performance on the job
- Visit graduates on-the-job, as needed, to coach and support towards retention and strong performance
- Address life issues that "get in the way" during the program and in the first 3 months of employment.
- Consistently track interactions and update participant tracker
- Support Program Coordinator with the delivery of material supports and wrap around services (e.g. bus passes, stipends, etc.)
- 160-200 food services participants in 2018-2019
- 80% employment rate (100% of graduates to be offered role at Nando’s)
- 75% job retention with the same employer for at least 180-days
You have outstanding interpersonal skills and are energized to coach our participants to achieve professional and personal success. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work closely with participants from diverse backgrounds. You are proactive in evaluating daily interactions with participants and creating long-lasting interventions to ensure their success. Most importantly, you have a proven ability to tailor your communication in an honest, open, transparent, yet nurturing way.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Experience teaching, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in adult education
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Background in mental/behavioral health or counseling preferred
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”
Minimum Education Required