Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Rocketship Public Schools is a network of elementary schools hiring outstanding Rising Principals in San Jose, CA; Antioch, CA; Milwaukee, WI; and Nashville, TN for a January 2018 start.
We are building a national network of high-performing schools serving more than 7,000 students from low income communities. Our teachers, school leaders, and network support staff are united in our mission to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime. School leaders are the backbone of Rocketship's impact model.
In order to set Rising Principals up for success, they first join our network as an Assistant Principal. This half-year program gives our Rising Principals a head start while they get to know our students, systems and routines. As a Rising Principal, you’ll serve as an Assistant Principal while receiving additional coaching and development to prepare you to move into a Principal role. Assistant Principals (APs) play a critical role in driving academic achievement for students and building a rigorous college preparatory environment. APs ensure academic excellence by working closely with the principal to lead and implement the instructional vision for 1-3 grade levels. All school leaders directly manage and coach the teachers in their grade levels by conducting observation cycles, modeling lessons, co-planning unit plans and lessons, real-time coaching, and providing support and resources aimed at increasing educator effectiveness and leadership. They also serve as cultural and community leaders for their grade levels by building teacher capacity in culture, discipline, and parent engagement. Rising Principals may share responsibilities with the school leadership team in the following additional areas: professional development, culture and discipline in common spaces, management of the Enrichment Center Coordinators, and special events.
As a Rising Principal, you will receive ongoing professional development on your coaching needs to ensure your growth and success as a leader in conducting rigorous observations, providing meaningful feedback, and executing useful planning and 1:1 meetings. The training received by Rising Principals will be tailored to prepare leaders to either take over an existing Rocketship campus or open a new site. Rising Principals will likely train in an existing Rocketship school in the designated region and have a gradual release throughout the spring to begin to prepare for the following school year.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Understands that adult preparation is essential and excellence is achieved through a constant relentless pursuit
- Has a deep elementary content knowledge and is eager to use that knowledge to develop excellent teachers in their planning and execution of lessons
- Believes that closing the achievement gap takes a lot of stamina, but is within their control
Developing Effective Educators: Rocketship Rising Principals are deeply committed to the success of each Rocketeer and the daily workload reflects that commitment.
- Foster a rigorous and college preparatory culture of excellence in every classroom that ensures high levels of student achievement
- Coach grade level teams (5-9 educators) to build content expertise in Humanities or STEM
- Engage in cycles of data driven instruction and assessments to inform planning and personalize instruction to student needs
- Ensure at least 1.5 years of progress for all Rocketeers annually through management and planning
- Collaborate with the Special Education team to ensure teachers are receiving the necessary support and training to maximize the delivery of instruction in our full inclusion model
Student and Parent Partnership: Rocketship Rising Principals succeed in partnership with all students and families through frequent communication, building trusting relationships, and embracing the knowledge parents have as their child's first teacher.
- Create a school community that fully involves parents in student achievement through multiple outlets including home visits, regular community meetings, and parent/family meetings.
Rocketship Professional Culture: Rocketship Rising Principals are deeply committed to doing and being their best, and to growing their skills as professionals and as individuals, so our daily and annual expectations reflect that commitment.
- Exhibit a high level of honest and humble self-reflection owning good and bad outcomes; effectively respond to and implement constructive feedback
- Create a healthy, high-achieving, urgent environment where staff and students feel challenged and also fully supported and valued
- Promote and participate in collaborative opportunities across schools to share best practices, problem solve, and gather feedback
- Lead human capital activities for their school, including hiring, promotion, staffing, and termination decisions.
- 3+ years of experience teaching in an urban city classroom and delivering significant achievement gains
- 1 year of experience as an instructional school leader at an urban elementary school serving a diverse student population with a track record of realizing significant achievement gains (2-3 years preferred)
- Experience managing, coaching, and developing teachers
- Deep knowledge of elementary instruction and planning skills
- Strong leadership skills and personal drive
- Relentless pursuit of high expectations
- Result-oriented and data-driven
- Ability to inspire, motivate and develop others
- Adaptable and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage and empower parents and families
- Experience in building and maintaining outstanding school culture
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strategic planning and project management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- BA from accredited university
- Valid Teaching Credential
- Milwaukee Candidates only: Valid Administrative Credential
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
How to Apply
To submit your resume, cover letter and other materials, please go to the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4639799
First Deadline - November 10, 2017 with interviews in December
Second Deadline - December 8, 2017 with interviews in January
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis; however, candidates who submit applications by the deadlines will be given first priority.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
Minimum Education Required