104 Sutter Avenue
Position: SITE DIRECTOR
Reports to: Division Director Afterschool Education
Work Location: PS 156 The Waverly School of Arts/Compass/Gary Klinsky Children’s Center/After School Program at 104 Sutter Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212
Work Hours: Full time 35 hours/week (Monday through Friday) 10am – 6pm, Summer camp and school holiday camps
Hours: Full Time
Brooklyn Community Services is one of Brooklyn’s first and largest non-sectarian social services agencies. Serving more than 10,000 individuals annually, BCS is committed to a broad and diverse range of services including prevention of foster care placement; crisis intervention; early childhood and after school education; and vocational training, job placement, and clinical services to adults with physical and developmental disabilities, and histories of mental illness.
Gary Klinsky Childrens’ Centers (GKCC) provide after-school learning opportunities to children from low-income families, who attend some of New York City’s lowest performing public elementary schools. The GKCC program is offered every weekday from 2:30p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at five public elementary schools located in East New York, Brownsville and Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. The five GKCC centers serve over 700 elementary school children annually. The Program at PS 156 serves 160 students per year.
· Direct and lead day to day operations of a school-based after school program at PS 156, The Waverly School of the Arts located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn.
· Ensure consistent implementation of the thematic curriculum designed by our Elementary Education Specialist and DYCD program model and train staff to meet the standards set by the Education Specialist.
· Effectively supervise teachers, assistant teachers, and volunteer staff according to criteria set by Division Director.
· Plan and implement clubs and field trips.
· Represent BCS to the school principal and other school staff. Participate in school leadership team. Meet monthly with principal or principal’s designee to exchange information and cooperate in problem solving for students and academic issues.
· Communicate with principal to ensure principal is fully aware of activities and issues in the program.
· Manage and maintain student and staff files in compliance with DYCD, DOH and BCS policy.
· Interview and hire staff as needed following BCS’s Hiring Policy.
· Coordinate enrollment process for students, and maintain and enter attendance and enrollment data into DYCD Connect.
· Ensure compliance with all DYCD, DOH, and DOE regulations including completing 30 hours of SACC license trainings per year and ensuring staff meet training regulations and document and maintain training data for review by DOH, DYCD and Division Director.
· Create and organize parent engagement activities (i.e., Holiday parties, Celebratory Events, culminating presentations based on thematic curriculum, parent workshops, etc.)
· Participate in monthly meetings with the Division Director and other Site Directors as well as one on one supervisory meetings with the Division Director on a bi-weekly basis.
Required Qualifications: Only candidates meeting these requirements will be contacted for an interview
· Bachelor’s degree or Associates degree in Child development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Recreation or related field required, or New York State Children’s Program Administrator Credential, or School Age Child Care Credential, or 2 years of college with 18 credits in Child Development, Elem entary Education, Physical Education, Recreation or a related field.
· Minimum of two years of direct experience working with children less than 13 years of age.
· At least one year of supervisory experience in a child care program or related field of work.
Medical insurance, voluntary dental and vision insurance; 23 accrued vacation days and 12 sick days, life insurance coverage paid by employer, pre-tax commuter benefits, 403b retirement plan as well as training and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email Resume and Cover Letter to:
Shatoya Harris, Administrative Assistant to Division Director of Afterschool Education
In subject line write: Afterschool Site Director – PS 156