5 Pennsylvania Plaza
Founded in 1972, Covenant House is the largest charity across the hemisphere serving homeless, trafficked and runaway youth. Located in 31 cities across 6 countries (Canada, the United States, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua) Covenant House offers a broad range of essential services to help youth move from poverty to opportunity and from homelessness to hope. These services include emergency shelter, transitional and supported housing, food, clothing, legal aid, medical care, educational services (including high school diploma programs and GED certificate programs), job training and placement services, childcare and parenting support programs.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the ongoing cultivation of current and prospective donors in the United States to effectively deepen their relationship with and support of Covenant House’s work with homeless youth in Latin America.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Fundraise. Develop and implement plans to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of donors with the capacity to make significant gifts in support of Covenant House’s work in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico.
- Achieve Results. Be accountable and responsible for results in fundraising for the donors on the assigned portfolio.
- Plan Trips. Organize and lead donor cultivation and immersion trips to visit the Covenant House shelters in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico, approximately four times a year.
- Liaise. Work with our staff in Latin America and our International Latin America Team in New York to gather materials, information, data and stories to translate into proposals and donor communications.
- Lead Committee. Develop and manage a program-focused fundraising committee.
- Plan Events. Assist in the planning of donor and special events as pertains to the donors and prospects on assigned portfolio.
- Partner and collaborate with the CHI Development Team and the CHI Latin America Team in the elaboration and execution of fundraising initiatives.
- Plan and Track. Ensure that information regarding donors and prospective donors learned in the course of cultivation is added to the Team Approach database system.
- Learn. Attend fundraising seminars and or trainings that are relevant to the position.
- Collaborate. Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Leadership or requested by fellow members of the Covenant Community.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least five years of major gift experience, preferably with an organization that operates in Latin America.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with a strong attention to detail.
- Aptitude to create fundraising materials in English and Spanish.
- Ability to interact with great skill and ease with donors and board members in business and social settings.
- To be personable, creative, focused and flexible.
- An intensely collaborative spirit.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, and night hours as needed.
- Flexibility to travel to Latin America.
- Profound and demonstrated commitment to human service and social change.
- Must be dedicated to the mission of Covenant House.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a defined contribution retirement savings plan (403b) with employer match and an annual employer contribution, medical, dental, and life insurance, employee assistance program, long-term disability plan, flexible spending accounts, up to 4 weeks’ vacation, 4 personal days, 13 sick days and 11 paid holidays during the year.
We are located in the heart of midtown - Penn Station.
Covenant House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, candidates should e-mail a cover letter and current resume with salary requirements.