Full Time - Exempt Position
Founded in 2010, the Dream Project’s mission is to empower Virginia high school graduates whose immigration status creates barriers to post-secondary education. The Dream Project works with them to access and succeed in college through scholarships, mentoring, academic and social support at school, emergency financial assistance, family engagement, and advocacy.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director oversees and implements the overall strategic and operational responsibilities for the Dream Project as established by the Board, and supervises its staff. The Executive Director will possess a deep commitment to the Dream Project’s mission, goals and programs and will function with a high degree of independence and experienced judgment.
Leadership & Management:
● Supports the Board, Board Chair, and Executive Committee in designing and implementing fundraising and programmatic strategies for the organization consistent with the goals and policies established by the Board.
● Oversees administrative, information technology and operational processes.
● Develops the annual budget, and reviews monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports, to ensure that the organization is meeting its fiduciary responsibilities and benchmark goals.
● Manages and reviews the work of a team of six to seven staff members, intern(s) and consultants.
● Attends all Board and Executive Committee meetings and provides reports and updates on staff as well as on all current work, project timelines, and projects and organizational progress.
● Supports a strong Board of Directors; builds and manages Board involvement with the strategic direction and strategic plan; works closely and openly with the Board and its committees.
● Supports actions of Board members, reminds members of outstanding deliverables, and offers assistance.
● Implements Board policies and procedures and builds support for Board decisions among staff.
● Expands and imagines new fundraising activities through individual, event, foundation, faith-based and corporate fundraising campaigns.
● Oversees the Director of Fundraising to develop and track an annual development plan,write and submit proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate gifts, develop a strategy to cultivate, retain and upgrade individual donors at all giving levels, and develop and maintain ongoing relationships with Major Donors; Named Scholarship sponsors; foundation, corporate and faith-based leaders, and other targeted supporters.
● Oversees organization of and personally attends fundraising events.
Advocacy and Communications:
● Applies expertise in issues affecting the undocumented population in Virginia and raises awareness of the Dream Project’s mission and work.
● Facilitates communications among all stakeholders including: Board Members; Advisory Board members; donors; mentees; mentors; scholars; universities; parents; the faith-based community; and local, state, and national leaders.
● Deepens and refines all aspects of communications—from web and social media presence to external relations -- with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
● Actively engages and energizes Dream Project students and volunteers, partners, and donors to participate in Dream Project activities and other advocacy efforts.
The Executive Director will be committed to the Dream Project’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership skills and the ability to establish relationships with Board members, potential donors, community members, local leaders, students, parents, university partners and immigrant communities. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
● Excellence in organizational management with a strong attention to detail and ability to coach staff, manage and develop a high-performance team and set and achieve strategic objectives.
● Bachelor’s degree with at least five years of experience working or volunteering in the non-profit field.
● Past success working with a Board of Directors (or other governance structure) with the ability to cultivate and maintain Board Member relationships.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to work effectively in collaboration with linguistically and culturally diverse populations.
● Grant writing experience.
● Familiarity with database systems like Salesforce/MailChimp is an asset.
● Spanish language fluency is required.
The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact by continuing the growth and expansion of the Dream Project and its students and families. This career opportunity offers a starting base salary commensurate with experience, a health-benefits package, and a team-oriented atmosphere.
Note: The Dream Project does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
The Dream Project is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Full Time - Exempt Position
Founded in 2010, the Dream Project’s mission is to empower Virginia high school graduates whose immigration status creates barriers to post-secondary education. The Dream Project works with them to access and…
Fluent in Spanish
Fluent in Spanish