Details: Commensurate with Experience
108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
SCHEDULE: Monday- Friday; Flexible schedule between sites; Occasional evening hours for school events, staff trainings, and meetings.
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified College Retention Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development and higher education to work in our College Access & Success Program (CASP). The CASP Program has two primary goals: first to work with students who may not be planning to go to college to encourage them to enroll and assist them with the enrollment process; then at the college level work intensively with those students who do enroll to help them persist and succeed in college.
The College Retention Specialist will be the primary person responsible for supporting students at LaGuardia and Queens Borough Community College. S/he will serve as a model for youth by building rapport with responsibility for providing guidance and mentoring students through program benchmarks to include admissions, enrollment, registration, and matriculation towards an Associate’s Degree.
- Manage a caseload of 40-50 continuing college students demonstrating college persistence of two years or more.
- Support students through semester to semester matriculation process by executing college retention strategies to ensure students persist and met academic success benchmarks to degree completion.
- Proactively provide weekly check-ins with active college students to ensure successful completion of courses through in –person meetings and follow-up phone/email communication.
- Connect students to on-campus resources and activities as needed.
- Maintain good relationships with major offices (Admissions, Financial Aid, Bursars, Career Services, Opportunity Programs, and Support Services (i.e. Single Stop).
- Weekly usage of Google Docs forms to record and track students’ academic progress, risk factors, solutions and benchmarks.
- Maintain updated knowledge of the City University of New York (Application Process, College Calendars, Program, Policies) FAFSA and TAP.
- Provide on-campus academic advising for students and accompany them to the relevant services on campus.
- Provide and communicate resolutions to barriers within the parameters of the program, impending student’s enrollment, registration, and matriculation with Program Director.
- Implement student re-entry strategies to ensure students re-entering degree programs are provided with what they need to do so successfully in consultation with Director.
- Participate in monthly student progress meetings with CASP Team and LTW Sites.
- Create and facilitate special monthly events for new and currently enrolled students as well as alumni.
- Administer self-assessment and feedback tool to college students on soft skills attainment.
- Create and support program branding using various social media platforms.
- Effectively support students who have been referred to CASP with financial aid, and college enrollment.
- Create and facilitate college readiness workshops and CASP informational sessions at LTW sites.
- Attend all college related events at LTW sites (College Application Week, College Fairs, campus tours of partner colleges) for purposes of engagement and recruitment.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Counseling or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with young adults in a college setting.
- Work independently and as a team player.
- Practice time management and ethical conduct.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement special events.
- Have excellent customer service skill and practice consistent follow-up.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Excellent problem solving skills and analysis.
Additional Details (For FT Positions):
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “College Retention Specialist – CASP” to email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required