1776 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Please note: Power to Decide is based in Washington, DC but for this position, we are willing to consider applicants located within the continental United States.
About Power to Decide
Power to Decide, the campaign to prevent unplanned pregnancy, believes that all young people should have the opportunity to pursue the future they want, realize their full possibility, and follow their intentions. These beliefs guide our work to ensure that all young people have the power to decide if, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant. We provide objective, evidence-based information about sexual health and contraceptive options, and we work to guarantee equitable access to and information about the full range of contraceptive methods. We are a national, non-partisan organization that is committed to common ground, common sense solutions and catalyzing innovation in the public and private sectors.
The Digital Media Fellow works closely with the Marketing and Communications team to develop and implement strategies to advance the brand and mission of Power to Decide. The Digital Media Fellow will provide support for the Marketing and Communications team particularly focusing on clinic database management, content creation, outreach, and marketing. The Fellow should be an excellent writer, researcher, and “people person” who is comfortable cultivating and maintaining relationships with partners, creating and editing content for Bedsider.org and related social channels, and juggling a variety of tasks with limited supervision.
This position requires an individual who has good time management skills, is creative, and has a strong ability to produce accurate, clear, user-friendly written content and other material in an effective and efficient manner.
This position will work with throughout the organization, especially with the Marketing and Communications team, and will report directly to the Senior Manager, Digital Marketing.
This is a temporary, full time position with Power to Decide that will end on December 31, 2018. Some travel may be required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Updates and expands clinic database through research and direct contact with relevant partners.
- Performs special research projects about a variety of topics relating to birth control access, health care policy, new developments in birth control, healthy sexuality, and more.
- Assists with editing and content management of the website; reviews content for consistency, grammar and spelling, and flow.
- Assists with special events throughout the year, with a focus on managing and creating materials, coordinating logistics, and being responsive to the needs of the internal team and event hosts.
- Assists Marketing and Communications staff with photography and videography shoots.
- Writes, edits, and publishes blog posts and social media content.
- Monitors and manages social media comments and engagement.
- Assists with video content development and transcription.
- Assists in developing graphics and/or apps for social media pages, groups, events, and other communication platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for someone who will think big, embrace innovation, and seek new ways of addressing issues. S/he will be collaborative and proactive; value diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives; be responsible, conscientious, adaptive, and resourceful. S/he will be able to comfortably embrace a non-ideological, “big tent” approach to unplanned pregnancy prevention and be passionate about creating a culture in which all children can thrive.
The ideal candidate will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, public health, journalism, digital media, and/or communications. S/he will have strong creative and verbal skills and strong attention to details are an absolute must. S/he will have a passion and skill for writing, and must be able to follow through, meet deadlines, be highly responsive, and organized. Must be a self-starter who can solve problems creatively, work well in a team setting, multi-task productively, and pay meticulous attention to details.
In addition, the candidate will have the following attributes:
- Prior experience in digital media, communications, and public health strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, strong interpersonal skills.
- Highly motivated, self-directed, flexible with changing priorities, and ability to work effectively independently and within teams.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented.
- Highly developed organizational skills with a proven ability to stay on task, meet deadlines, and follow through on assignments.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines.
- Experience with graphic design and familiarity with related platforms, i.e. Canva and/or Adobe Creative Suite.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience turning concepts/ideas into multimedia content and ensuring brand consistency.
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a temporary position; benefits are not included. This position is classified as non-exempt.
Minimum Education Required