Americans for Tax Fairness, a national campaign of 425 endorsing organizations active on high-profile federal tax reform issues, is seeking a Research and Policy Director with at least five years of experience on tax and/or domestic policy issues. He or she must have strong research and analytic skills, knowledge of tax, economic and/or domestic policy issues, have in-depth knowledge of Excel, be a good writer, be well organized and pay close attention to details, and be comfortable operating in a fast-paced, campaign-style environment. This is a senior, full-time exempt position that reports directly to the Executive Director. It offers competitive salary and benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Propose and implement a strategic research plan that can affect the debate about tax issues.
- Maintain knowledge of a wide range of tax policy issues and tax research sources, and manage a system for maintaining records of key information.
- Stay abreast of domestic policy issues that relate to tax issues and the federal budget, such as healthcare.
- Prepare corporate profiles identifying tax rates paid, revenues and profits using 10K reports and other sources.
- Manage and undertake longer-term research and policy projects.
- Rapidly respond to short-term research and policy requests, often in reaction to breaking news.
- Draft reports, fact sheets, blog posts and other materials based on research and policy work.
- Staff the ATF Research and Policy Committee and develop and maintain relationships with research staff at partner organizations.
- Maintain a well-functioning office; troubleshoot computer and equipment problems; file credit card receipts and reimbursements; maintain all electronic data and listservs.
- Provide support to the executive director to ensure the smooth functioning of the ATF coalition.
- Other duties as assigned by the executive director.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Significant knowledge of tax policy issues and knowledge of domestic policy and budget issues.
- Minimum of five years employment in a non-profit research or advocacy organization, or in Congress or the Executive Branch, including experience through fellowships and internships.
- Good research, writing and analytical skills.
- Experience with corporate research and/or familiarity with corporate financial filings a plus.
- Considerable experience with Google Office, Microsoft Word and Excel, including the ability to produce quality graphs, charts, and tables.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of practices of office management practices and computer systems.
- Strong interest in progressive politics helpful.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Research and Policy Director
Americans for Tax Fairness is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and non-profits, as well as coordinates donor collaboratives and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
Minimum Education Required