1750 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
The Director of Development is an integral part of the UNA-USA and UN Foundation team. UNA-USA is the grassroots public engagement arm of the UN Foundation. Under the direction of UNA-USA’s Executive Director, the position has primary responsibility for fundraising and partnership development for UNA-USA, including the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual, corporate, and foundation donors. The position has secondary responsibility to support fundraising for the core U.S. engagement work of the Better World Campaign and UN Foundation, including to ensure that all fundraising to support this overall body of work is aligned and mutually reinforcing.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director and is an integral part of a strong, close-knit team devoted to collaborative decision-making and donor and prospect management to help shape the future of UNA-USA. The Director of Development will also participate in wider development strategy efforts across the Foundation, with particular responsibility for partner development and fundraising to support core U.S. engagement work.
- Helps set the strategic priorities for UNA-USA programs and set goals for unrestricted, programmatic, and restricted project funding from individual, corporate, and foundation sources in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Develops and manages a pool of individual, corporate, and foundation prospects in close collaboration with other UNF programs and UNF’s Integrated Development team
- Supports UNF’s Stepping Up Together integrated development strategy, including stewarding sponsors for the Global Leadership Dinner and other philanthropic investments, in partnership with the UNF Integrated Development team
- Cultivates relationships with program officers and decision-makers
- Manages strategy for all solicitations and actively solicits and negotiates gifts
- Devises successful cultivation and stewardship strategies for program donors and prospects from all constituency groups
- Initiates contact with prospects and donors on behalf of the Executive Director and schedules appointments with interested parties
- Attends meetings where appropriate
- Develops presentation materials and briefing strategies to support meetings
- Increases UNA-USA revenue by establishing annual fund campaigns and a Moves Management program.
- Leads UNA-USA’s planned giving strategy.
- Manages UNA’s Development Associate in partnership with UNA’s Membership Director.
- Oversees UNA’s development contractor
- Manages prospect research.
- Manages all development-related correspondence including grant proposals, acknowledgement letters, and reports
- Develops and maintains prospect tracking systems and implements other reporting and structural systems that will indicate program progress
- Assists in the preparation of public/press announcements associated with significant grants
- Performs other related responsibilities as necessitated by the position or as assigned
- Some domestic travel required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10 years experience in fundraising preferred, including demonstrated success stewarding major gifts and foundation relations
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong background in program planning and strategic initiative development.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading, and speaking skills
- Strong leadership, administrative, and budgetary skills
- Must be able to work independently, adapt to changing priorities and multi-task to meet deadlines
- Proven experience and success in developing and implementing major gift fundraising programs and track record of personally soliciting major (6-figure and greater) gifts.
- Experience building planned giving programs with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequests
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet UNF's attendance policy
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- A choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP with HSA),
- dental insurance,
- vision discounts,
- flexible spending accounts,
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution,
- group term and supplemental life insurance,
- short-term disability,
- long-term disability,
- health club discounts,
- commuter benefits, and
- employee assistance program.
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of parental leave.
Minimum Education Required