About the Obama Foundation
Founded in January 2014, the Obama Foundation is a living, working center for citizenship in the 21st century aimed at identifying, training, and connecting the next generation of leaders and engaged citizens. The Foundation is developing the Obama Presidential Center on the South Side of Chicago to serve as headquarters for the projects it will undertake across the city, the nation, and around the world.
As President Obama said in his farewell address, "I am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change — but in yours.” That concept is one the Obamas championed from the beginning, and it is now a cornerstone of the Obama Foundation’s efforts to support and develop the next generation of active citizens and emerging young leaders at home and around the world.
Real change—big change—takes many years, and requires each generation to believe that its participation matters and embrace the obligations and opportunities that come with the most important office in a democracy: that of Citizen. Together, we have made extraordinary progress. Because there is more to do, this work lives on in the Obama Foundation.
For more information on the Obama Foundation, please visit www.obama.org.
About the Role
As a member of the Digital team, the Email Marketing Specialist will lead strategy and execution of the Foundation’s email efforts, including building, segmenting, testing, optimizing, and reporting on the success of our email program. The Email Marketing Specialist will report to the Engineering Manager.
The Email Marketing Specialist will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- Within 1 month, a comprehensive report is produced that highlights the strengths and weaknesses of our current email program, from both a technical and performance perspective, along with recommendations for improvement
- Within 1 month, a send checklist exists and is shared with members of the digital team
- Within 3 months, a collection of branded responsive templates exists and is built out in our email service provider
- Within 3 months, a collection of best practices, specific to our list, has emerged and is documented on a regular basis
- Within 3 months, our send performance metrics are trending in a positive direction due to strategic adjustments
- Within 6 months, our email program has grown to encompass additional segments and messaging and enough testing has been done to model projections for the coming year
- On an ongoing basis, our deliverability remains at an exceptional level and our relationship with ISPs is monitored and addressed as needed
The ultimate aim of the Email Marketing Specialist is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that the Email Marketing Specialist will spend their time in the following ways:
- Checklist, QA, and ensure technical perfection of every email sent from Foundation systems
- Coordinate and customize user journeys and landing pages for email campaigns
- In cooperation with the Audience Growth Associate, recognize and maximize opportunities for fundraising and list growth
- Assess relevant metrics and benchmarks to pivot strategies, test, and improve performance
- Build and test a suite of data-driven responsive templates that seamlessly incorporate dynamic content
- Hand code CSS and HTML as needed
- Serve as the Foundation’s primary expert on email deliverability; stay up to date on industry standards and best practices
- Recommend innovative approaches and fresh template design approaches
- Clearly explain problems that arise (for example, with deliverability issues) so people are aware early and often
- Deep conversance with BSD Tools and Salesforce Marketing Cloud, beyond just the WYSIWYG
- 3-5 years of relevant experience developing and coding emails and templates
- Expert HTML/CSS skills, particularly in HTML-email, user interface design, and user experience flows
- Familiarity with CRMs and analytics across a variety of platforms
- Ability to report out clearly and succinctly on results of an email send
- Strong track record of telling a story using both quantitative and qualitative information
- Understanding of non-profit or similar organization communications and fundraising
- Exceptional project manager – effectively plans long-term projects, investing, managing, and communicating effectively with others to achieve objectives and meet deadlines
- Does not let details slip through the cracks
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Minimum Education Required