Details: Competitive salary commensurate to experience
910 17th St. NW
The Hindu American Foundation seeks to hire a full-time Director of Education. This director will be tasked with promoting culturally competent, accurate, and equitable understandings of Hindu teachings, history, and traditions in K-12 and higher education. The Director would lead HAF’s Hinduism 101 teacher training program, cultivate relationships with major publishers and key stakeholders in social studies education, oversee resource development and distribution, and monitor education policy nationally. The position is full-time and based in DC.
Manage and grow HAF’s Hinduism 101 Teacher Training program.
- Market and manage teacher training program at national and state level social studies conferences
- Identify funding sources or strategies for monetizing training program
- Devise and manage online teacher training for educators at the district and school levels
- Investigate opportunities and obtain accreditation(s) for teacher training program
- Develop and carry out strategy for alumni engagement, including newsletters, continuing education opportunities, etc.
- Manage Hinduism 101 database
Cultivate and continue building upon relationships with key stakeholders in social studies education.
- Major publishers and 2nd tier publishers
- National and state level organizations or efforts engaged in social studies education and education reform, including those serving the needs of minorities, English as second language communities, and those with special needs
- Interfaith partners concerned about the portrayal of Hinduism, India, and other religions and cultures in textbooks and/or with education reform experience
Develop and distribute educational resources.
- Oversee creation of additional modules for Hinduism 101 curriculum.
- Oversee development of supplementary materials, including but not limited to lesson plans, class activities, and video resources
- Periodically seek opportunities for and oversee creation of 202 and 303 level materials
- Research reliable resources covering Ancient India and Hindu history for promotion through website and direct interactions at the district level and up
- Oversee content review as related to educational materials from publishers, educators, partners, etc.
Generous benefits, including medical, dental, and vision.
Level of Language Proficiency
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s degree (a plus). Degree in Religion, History, Humanities, South Asian Studies, Education preferred
- Teaching experience a plus
- 2-4 years work experience required
- Deep, working knowledge of India and Hindu teachings, practices, and traditions
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Organized and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Fluency in online platforms such as Google, social networks, Zoom, etc.
- Works well in a close-knit team environment, but can complete tasks independently when necessary
- Must be willing and able to travel monthly and/or on weekends
Minimum Education Required