Details: • This is a part time position of $17-$20 per hour based on experience.
Access Art Mission: Access Art is a youth-focused community arts organization that inspires personal success by providing a safe space for hands-on learning in a variety of artistic media combined with civic engagement and leadership development. www.accessartmd.org
Job Description: Access Art is expanding our team and searching for dedicated, energetic, and engaged teachers to serve as after school arts and media instructors during the upcoming school year. Instructors will generally be part of a 2 person team and will facilitate classes for elementary, middle or high school students.
Visual arts based teachers will facilitate elementary or middle school youth to develop an understanding of the fundamental techniques and possibilities associated with a variety of art forms. Teachers will increase student’s confidence to express themselves in the visual artistic processes, expand student’s art based skills and ability to create visual compositions using principles of art and design, and expose youth to historic and contemporary artists.
Media Teachers will facilitate middle and high school youth to develop an understanding of the fundamental techniques and possibilities associated with the mediums of photography, video, and visual multimedia. The goal of the program is to increase participants’ familiarity with still and motion based mediums and techniques thus enabling each individual to create, communicate, analyze, and discuss complex thoughts, ideas, and media literacy concepts.
• Conceive, design, and manage arts and media based projects that engage youth in meaningful visual art experiences. Responsible for creating curriculum & identifying learning objectives for participants in the programs.
• Provide in-depth demonstration on the uses and techniques of a particular artistic medium and facilitate a productive creative process.
• Manage student behavior; Maintain a safe and creative environment; and Facilitate group discussion.
• Coordinate program logistics with staff from Access Art.
• Maintain thorough documentation of the program including attendance sheets and pre & post tests.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent plus at least three years of youth program arts/media instruction with youth in grades K-9 in urban school settings.
• Highly organized individual with a passion for youth arts/ media programming.
• Strong skill base in an art form such as photography, video, painting, screen-printing, mosaics, sculpture.
Strong facilitator with proven skills in classroom management
Strong youth development skills and a genuine respect and understanding of youth, their concerns and and diverse learning styles. An awareness of and experience with inclusion strategies and bringing inclusion processes to the classroom to support all students
• Experience with curriculum design, youth evaluation and data collection.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and comfort talking with families and parents of youth in the programs.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team as needed.
• A flexible individual who can recognize and seize opportunities, solve problems, and approach challenges in a proactive way.
• Must have own transportation to work on and off site and attend meetings.
• All staff undergo fingerprinting and criminal background checks.
Compensation & Position Hours:
• This is a part time position of $17-$20 per hour based on experience.
• Hours: Program hours may vary by site, but approximately 3-5 hours each day- Monday through Thursday
• There will also be additional paid time for professional development trainings, preparation, lesson planning, and staff meetings.
• Instructors will have a separate budget for purchasing materials and supplies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
• Interested candidates must submit both an official cover letter and resume to: Marshall Clarke, Executive Director of Access Art.
• Please submit both cover letter and resume as one pdf document labeled with your name and email to email@example.com
• Include "FY19 Arts-Media Instructor" in email subject line.
• No Phone Calls Please.
Access Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.