We are expanding our grants department to provide additional support for securing the resources needed to grow and sustain program activities towards achieving our mission, which is helping thousands of kids in our Central Texas communities stay in school and achieve in life. We are currently seeking an experienced Grant Writer (32-40 hrs/wk) to join our development team. The ideal candidate is someone who will be able to enthusiastically help our organization attain the funding needed to impact the lives of students and their families in our community. This is not a contract position.
Reporting to the Grant and Program Research Manager, the Grant Writer will research new private and corporate funding sources, develop proposals, write project descriptions, compile other information required by grant makers, and submit grant applications. The Grant Writer will also be responsible for creating post-project reports required by the funder and tracking the progress of grants that have been received.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in grants research, writing, reporting, and grants management; additional work experience may be substituted for education
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated ability to compose clear and compelling proposals
- Knowledge of laws and regulations pertaining to private and corporate grants, contract administration and basic grant budgeting processes
- Technical proficiency with web-based research tools
- Technical proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment
- Detail-oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Public Affairs or related field is preferred
- Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of the organization’s mission, programs, target populations and strategic vision; use this information to prepare grants and other proposals
- Research new private and corporate funding sources
- Prepare and submit grant applications to private and corporate entities
- Ensure compliance with reporting requirements of assigned portfolio of funding organizations
- Maintain calendar for private and corporate foundation proposals, reports, and other deliverables.
- Support contract/grant award review and submission process and maintain related electronic and paper documentation
- Maintain relationships with assigned portfolio of funding entities and serve as primary contact for correspondence, site visit preparation, etc.
- Represent CIS at bidder’s conferences, RFP meetings and a variety of community settings as assigned
- Work with finance department and program staff to develop and implement budgets submitted in grant proposals
- Participate in regular cross-departmental meetings related to funding and document discussion and next steps
- Assist with the portfolio of the Grants and Program Research Manager as needed
Specific Job Competencies
- Understand the purpose of communication and use appropriate method of communication for the situation
- Use clear and specific language utilizing "I" statements
- Display active listening skills (e.g. reflecting, body language, asking for clarification, etc.)
- Respond to phone and email messages in a timely manner
- Use discretion when sharing information
- Establish a system of information sharing and follow-up
Grant Writing Skills
- Actively seek out and locate grantors and RFPs
- Recruit and manage teams to design programs, develop budgets, research needs, write text, and complete forms
- Ensure grants are well written, internally consistent, and professionally presented and managed
Strategic Planning Skills
- Continually gather and analyze information from external and internal environments
- Use information to anticipate potential challenges and changes
- Use a wide range of information to set goals and priorities
- Demonstrate leadership and initiative throughout this process
- Demonstrate competency with all Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, Word, Publisher and PowerPoint
- Seek out formal or informal training to increase computer skills to more effectively perform job functions
- Demonstrate an increase in proficiency over time with the use of computer equipment and software.
- Seek out formal or informal training to increase computer skills to more effectively perform job junctions
Reporting Structure: The Grant Writer is a member of the CIS Development Department and reports to the Grants and Program Research Manager.